Do International Decorative Surfaces sell to the public?

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by whatsthenews, May 30, 2019.

1. whatsthenews

whatsthenews Member

We have a branch in Gateshead and I'm looking for Duropal or Axiom worktops.

2. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Yes. They will. Better prices through an account holder though.

whatsthenews likes this.
  3. whatsthenews

whatsthenews Member

Cheers. I'll ask our kitchen fitter. Do you have any experience of laminate worktops? We were going to go for Duropal, but I've read some recent reviews that say the laminate splinters very easily? Surprised as I was lead to believe it was one of the best laminates. IDC won't even show you prices unless you're logged in. Makes sense I suppose.

4. barbaricduck

barbaricduck Active Member

I've had issues with Duropal not cutting nicely, and with brand new blades / cutters too.

5. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

Duropal has always sold as a top quality German brand going all the way back to the 1970's, it's perceived as top quality because of it's density more than anything.
    The reality though is quite different. It's so dense and heavy because it's rammed with as much glue, bit's of metal, stones and god knows what else. That's why it kills brand new saw blades, router cutters and jigsaw blades from the moment you first use them.
    If a customer wants me to fit Duropal tops, i always add on £100 to the price for blades, router bits and jigsaw blades i know i am going to chuck away at the end of the job. Out of all the different makes of worktop i have fitted over the years, Duropal tops are also the worst for "blowing" around sinks, hobs and joints.

barbaricduck likes this.
  6. whatsthenews

whatsthenews Member

This is what I'm concerned about, but our kitchen fitter recommended them, as have others. Which worktops are better, in your opinion Kitfit1 and barbaricduck? We have a local manufacturer for Getalit (Rearo) but they don't really have one that we like.
    We liked a worktop called Ceramic chalk. It's from the Egger contemporary range. It has a slight texture and a mix of matt and a slight gloss so reflects some light without needing sunglasses!
    The Duropal worktop we were thinking about was the Carrera marble which was a very smooth matt.
    Worktop express do one called Cream stone, but not sure who makes it? https://www.worktop-express.co.uk/laminate-worktops/cream-stone-worktops
    Units will be mainly light grey matt with graphite matt on the breakfast bar.

7. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

Have a good look at Bushboard worktops. Loads of different colours and finishes and all made by Bushboard in th UK using virgin chipboard with no added ****.

whatsthenews likes this.
  8. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

whatsthenews likes this.
  9. whatsthenews

whatsthenews Member

Thanks for the info. Have heard good things about BB too.

10. barbaricduck

barbaricduck Active Member

I have fitted BB a few times with no problems. I generally use Howdens tops as it is the easiest route for me. Never had a single problem with them. Only thing I don't like is the exposed underside of the square edged tops. Also fitted Benchmarx a couple of times and found they cut nicely. The one and only time I fitted Duropal I did think they were heavy (as per kitfits post above), but I put it down to being tired at the time!