Do you prefer to screw or bayonet?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by lensman, Jan 30, 2004.

1. lensman

lensman New Member

Just interested, following related discussions, to hear whether people think screw-in or bayonet light fittings are safer?

Personally it always seems both easier and safer to change screw-in fittings as there's less need to apply pressure to the fitting while jiggling the bulb about. Does anyone think different, and why?

In the unlikely event that everyone agrees with me, why are new products/houses still appearing with bayonet fittings?

2. andyboy

andyboy New Member

baynet easier to get in and out, especially if the glass breaks.

3. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds New Member

I may not be a sparks, but I do change lightbulbs.

I think it's horses for courses - when all we had were pendants and table/standard lamps, and you could get a good grip on the fitting and the bulb, BC was fine. Nowadays, for a large number of luminaire designs, screw is better. I have some wall mounted uplighters in my house - the common quarter-spherical shape, open at the top, where the combination of their height and the fact that there are shelves beneath them make reaching inside very awkward. I can just about grasp the bulb and get enough angular movement to screw it in or out - I don't think it would be possible to manipulate a BC bulb.

Srew-ins have their unique problems - they can work loose, and if you overtighten them they can be a bvgger to get out, particularly with recessed fittings where purchase is limited.

So I don't think there is a hard-and-fast rule...

4. supersparky

supersparky New Member

two main things to consider:

Bayonet can have shrouds, making it impossible to touch the lives

screw type, have a neutral surround and you will most probrably make contact with this before comming into contact with phase, and so just get a burn

however, some people wire these wrong, and make the center terminal negative and the outer screw live.

but again, this is down to a poor instaler/or the good old fav...DIY
    either way like has been said before, they both have their place, and i can tell you right now, changing a screw in light fitting at 10 ft is not easy, espesialy if it decides to stick...

ss

5. Fubar

Fubar New Member

I actually prefer the style used by GU10 and GZ10 light fittings. The PLC 4-pin style are good too. I guess that is the nice thing - the wiring regs don't dictate the type used so manufacturers are free to attempt to improve designs.

6. Damocles

Damocles New Member

small bulbs need smaller connectors, so i guess these are a new design. But I think the standard screw and bayonet are more a question of history. We chose bayonet, other countries had screw. Now everyone buys fittings from everywhere

7. MICC

MICC Member

I agree with most said on this, however removing both bc and es is a skill.
    I have been called out many times to change lamps that they could not change themselves. Its about applying pressure and turning at the right time, of course this is a knack which should not be shared with diyers!

8. Dewy

Dewy New Member

As for the bayonet "They don't like it up 'em Mr Mainwaring, they don't like it up 'em"
    I prefer a screw anytime

9. Damocles

Damocles New Member

left or right handed?

10. Dewy

Dewy New Member

As you are taught when using a parachute. 1st pull the ripcord, if the main 'chute doesn't open pull the cord on the reserve 'chute, if that doesn't open, cross your left leg over your right leg & stay upright
    It's easier to pull you out with a left hand thread.

11. lensman

lensman New Member

I have been called out many times to change lamps
    that they could not change themselves.

Thanks for all the opinions guys - though I can't decide if the comment quoted is one of the joke ones. I've met plenty of people who can't wire a 3-pin plug, but surely everyone can change a light bulb - can't they?

12. lastword

lastword New Member

> but surely everyone can change a
    light bulb - can't they?

Er, actually I've got a regular customer who pays me to change light bulbs. More fool them you might say. On the other hand they are the millionaires, so I have to ask myself - who's the idiot.

13. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds New Member

I once read somewhere about how many full-time maintenance people are employed in the Pentagon just to change lightbulbs. Apparently it's 250 lamps per day, so I guess if you figure that by the time you've got there (17.5 miles of corridors, 16,250 light fixtures), put up the ladders, changed the bulb and taken down the ladders you'd struggle to do more than 3 or 4 an hour per person, and H&S rules probably mandate 2-man teams, that's a lot of people.....

14. sterose

sterose New Member

Can I just ask. Where did the word 'bayonet' come from?
    That is to say, it seems to refer to all 'push in, and turn' fittings. You have bayonet light fittings, gas fittings, computer network fittings, etc.

15. Vayres

Vayres New Member

Short knives / swords were wedged into the barrels of muskets. You stuck in the end of you musket to convert it into pike /sword as you no longer had time to reload.

With the advent of the riffle it became worthwhile to be able to have the blade attached while still being able to fire. A riffle bayonet uses the ring at two pegs to attach to the outside of the barrels but still leave the bore free for shooting. This was I believe the first use of the type of fitting and has therefore stuck