Do you show seperate labour & material costs when quoting?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by kangooman, Sep 15, 2006.

1. kangooman

kangooman New Member

Hello all,

Just after a bit of advice from you more experienced pro's when it comes to quoting/estimating jobs.

Do you show a seperate price for materials and labour or a total price for the complete job.

Have just been asked to show seperate prices on an estimate but don't see why I should and is it realy any of the customers business how much I charge. The price I give them is surely all they need to know.

Any advice and views greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

2. macka001

macka001 New Member

depends on job, some times all the customer wants is for you to replace a light fitting, and they are supplying the fitting.
    Normally i just quote per job, or break it down into various secions, mat & lab all in.

what you do if materials prices go up? pass onto customer or absorb into your own cost?

problem i find is the labour cost, i have found customer look at that i think...f* it.

you know the score
    Materials: £100
    Labour £250

3. AVO8MK5

AVO8MK5 New Member

I'll assume you mean domestic work. Quote as YOU see fit.
    I would quote all in total cost to customer but keep separate figures for accounting reference.
    If customer doesn't like it...... tough!

4. TallPaul

TallPaul New Member

I never do. If you use a wholesaller you will get a discount on your kit and the customer couldn't match that price. If they say they will provide materials then fine but you can't guarantee it. So any problems with the kit will be a chargeable extra. No doubt they will say Screwfix is cheap, but some the the stuff is cr&p. Sorry Mr Screwfix..

5. trunky

trunky New Member

I always quote total price for job (domestic or commercial) that's all customers are interested in the bottom line.

I do get enquiries about cost of some materials and they say they've seen it cheaper in DIY sheds but I try to avoid installing customer supplied kit. I have refused in some cases told customer to take kit back and I'll supply better stuff at same price.

6. edward current

edward current Active Member

tell then as little as possible

7. Clark Kent

Clark Kent New Member

Customer dependant, many are not bothered about a reciept, those that are I give a parts/labour invoice.

Keep it simple, wothout landing yourself in it! (job pricing etcB-))

If you don't want to give the customer a 'breakdown of costs' then give them a 'job lot' price.;-)

8. Pyro

Pyro New Member

The less the customer knows about your pricing structure, the less ammo they have to use against you...... er, bargaining power to reduce the bill.
    Also, you get your kit from a wholesaler at a trade price, so what price do you put in the "materials" part of the quote/invoice? Having been through this in my early days, I can say with confidence that it can quickly get very complex, and the amount of time wasted messing around with numbers so as to arrive at "acceptable" figures is quite depressing.

I'll bet that the customer does not ask Tesco what their wholesale price is on fuit & veg.

9. Clark Kent

Clark Kent New Member

I'll bet that the customer does not ask Tesco what their wholesale price is on fuit & veg.<

;)

10. Clark Kent

Clark Kent New Member

Invoicing often seems secondary to the job in hand, do a good job, impress the customer, tell them what lovely fittings they've bought (or you supplied);-)

(Unless they want a invoice for claiming back costs, insurance, or just because etc)

11. Lokkars Daisy

Lokkars Daisy New Member

And so Pyro , what method do you use for pricing materials .for inst Circular bathroom IP44 light fitting in screwfix around £9.00 from Newy same thing £19.00
    What do you charge for materials , Wholesalers price +? %or screwfix .
    Everone on here buys the same product a differenr discounts

12. Clark Kent

Clark Kent New Member

Loks, but what about the smart **** customer who knows wholesale prices!!

13. Lokkars Daisy

Lokkars Daisy New Member

Wholesale prices vary enormously,the pain in the ** is that one must keep reminding and pushing wholesaler for best price (that's how it works) At a straight off price Screwfix is pretty good on many items. It is a bugger eh?
    One could take Neweys catalogue trade price and and charge out at that ,you would still be making a profit if you had bought the same basic items from Screwfix.
    Having said that (a customer who knows trade prices ??
    well tell them to buy the stuff and bung an extra 15% on you labour... just wait and see how unstuck it all comes when they don't have grommets,earth wire etc etc etc and then are left over with reels of unused cable etc
    Why am I telling you all this ????? I don't even know you !!!!

14. SPARKY BILL

SPARKY BILL New Member

I always estimate on domestic work on a price per item including cable, boxes, labour etc. IE; 2G socket £45 each X 10 = £450.00. I give a full list of what they have asked for and the total is the estimated cost. I have found this very useful when they have asked for 10 sockets and the job turns out to be 12. It is easy for the customer to update there own estimate. I would also mention I have been successful against quotes 25% less than mine simply because my estimate is typed and set out on an easy to understand base where the opposition where hand written on a note pad. Good look with your pricing.

15. SPARKY BILL

SPARKY BILL New Member

Reading some of the reply' I can see I am not the only one suffering from Screwfix cats. B&Q & Wicks etc. etc. My answer to these costomers when I charge £25 for a fitting and they say I could buy it for £20 from B&Q is yes but you have to fetch it and if there is a fault with it you will have to pay me to take it down and refit the replacement. If I supply it you pay for fitting, any problems are down to me. This usually does lower the temperature a bit. It is true lots of fittings etc. are cheaper from super stores than the wholesalers but if we went down that road we would send even more time on dreaded paperwork and bookkeeping

16. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Customer wants a rewire on say a 4 bed property..first thing liase with the customer and draw up a spec sheet for the works needed..no pricing..and forward to the customer for agreement on works (and any additions/afterthoughts he might want to add). Customer agrees on works and any additions if needed..price up everything inclusive as to spec and then wait for agreement..simple.....