Dodgy work....?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Secondincomemtrader, Mar 17, 2019.

1. Secondincomemtrader

Secondincomemtrader New Member

An electrician has installed a spur fuse(?) as part of a bathroom under floor heating installation. They removed a redundant plug socket just outside the bathroom and re-used it to instal the spur fuse. Several days later I noticed it wasn’t straight so thought I’ll straighten it when I come to paint the wall and need to remove it. Having done that I’ve now noticed that the original metal box is too shallow and I cannot screw the cover back on. The fuse unit would never fit in a box that shallow, I realised they actually filled round the edge, probably because there was a gap. Also there are no rubber grommets on the cut outs where the cables come in. I’m wary of trying to force the cover on in case the wires are cut by the box cut outs and the box becomes live. Does the use of an incorrectly sized box and the lack of rubber grommets mean the work is non compliant? Many thanks in advance.

2. spirits are real 2016

spirits are real 2016 Active Member

the back box should be 25mm deep there should be grommits used ask wallice and the earth sleeved.

3. Pollowick

Pollowick Well-Known Member

Are you sure? MK ones require 35mm back boxes.

4. Secondincomemtrader

Does this mean I can have them for non part p compliant work?

5. spirits are real 2016

spirits are real 2016 Active Member

some are 25mm and some are deeper but deeper the better for more room.

6. dobbie

dobbie Well-Known Member

Would never dream of fitting a 25mm ko box for a spur,especially if part of the ring with 3 twin and earths.Cables are forced in and squashed with 25mm as the box is too shallow,with 35mm there is a bit of room.

KIAB likes this.
  7. spinlondon

spinlondon Well-Known Member

They’ve reused an existing back box.

8. MGW

MGW Well-Known Member

There is nothing to stop surface mounting, and I have not seen any rule as such to say you can't mount a 20 mm box 15 mm back from the plaster face, or use spacers and the like often called finger plates, there is no reason to use a grommet if the design means the cable can't touch the sharp edges of the box.

So although we may all think the work is below the standard expected, unless inspectors have been called to the home before you removed the FCU as would happen if some one was electrocuted, then to take anyone to court for non compliance would be rather hard, as once removed it would be hard to prove it was dangerous before it was removed, and it could cause more problems than it cures.

In this house my father had a wet room fitted for my mother, he got a builder who had loads of examples of bathroom work to do the job, and left it to the builder to do everything required. They were mainly selected as we only had a three weeks slot before my mother was to return home, however they did not finish in time, and after an argument with my son they walked off.

Thinking they had done it all correctly to that point, we had to contact the local authority building control to be able to take over the work, it was a this point we found they had not submitted plans, lucky it was for her disablement so no charge, but it opened the flood gates finding one after the other faults with their work, some serious and some petty and we then wished we had kept our mouths shut and never involved the LABC.

And when it comes to selling the house and we don't know where the paper work is, we find to get a replacement will cost around £65 per hour for the council to hunt their records for a replacement with no indication how long it will take, and can't be done for three months, so why we every bothered I don't know, as seems impossible to access them when required.

So in real terms Part P is just another tax, it offers no additional protection to the laws before Part P.

The problem is now you have found errors it's down to you to correct.

There was a rule which said we should follow manufacturers instructions, however that is no longer, so even if you had in your contract the phrase "must comply with BS7671 requirements." it would be hard to show they were in breach of contract.

9. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Well-Known Member

If the back box is too shallow, I would be inclined to fit a spacer between the box and spur unit. I would take a standard shallow light switch pattress out the back, drill through the screw brass ferrules and then pass it over the spur unit without disconnecting the cables. Now use long fixing screws to reach from the spur front plate, through the spacer and into the existing back box. As MGW said, the grommets are only necessary if the cables will rub against sharp edges of the hole through which they pass, if no movement or vibration is expected, then grommets may not be required.

10. Secondincomemtrader

Thank you for this, I wasn’t aware such things existed but have found one on Screwfix, much appreciated!

11. Bogle Crag

Bogle Crag Member

Would it not be easier to use a spacer frame

12. Comlec

Comlec Well-Known Member

Couple of these - job done
    B2AEC355-2C39-4702-8926-7754288A5549.jpeg