Does a SE need to vist a property to carry out structural calculations?

Discussion in 'Engineers' Talk' started by Lee245, Oct 29, 2018.

  1. Lee245

    Lee245 New Member

    Might be a silly question, but i've had some designs done for moving a wall outwards on the rear extension and wall to be removed internally for a garage conversion.

    Sent the plans to a structural engineer and he has quoted but said he can work from the drawings/designs and doesnt need to visit the premises.

    Does this sound right? How would he know what foundations there are, is a padstone needed, current beam in place etc?

    As I say might be a silly question, but any advice appreciated.
  2. sospan

    sospan Well-Known Member

    It is normally best for an SE to visit site to visually verify what he is being asked to engineer.

    However, most competent SE can work off plans given to them and will caveat their work as being based on what they have received.
  3. kiaora

    kiaora Well-Known Member

    Excellent answer from sospan,
    But, in the real world, most experienced tradesmen can say how to support a wall and knock through, but...
    You get the SE to take responsibility for how the job must be done.

    If you give the drawing to the SE, you place yourself in a loose loose position...

    In my opinion the structural engineer must visit site, to design and calculate how the job needs to be carried out
    That’s what you’re paying for

    Will the person Who did the drawing except responsibility for errors?


Share This Page