Does anyone know?!

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by John Bunyan, Oct 11, 2017.

1. John Bunyan

John Bunyan Member

I posted about this the other week and no one replied. Can an 11 x 3 purlin be jointed in length because a full length cannot be taken into the loft without taking the roof off. Please, anyone??

2. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Well-Known Member

Ask building control for advise.
    contact local big builders
    ask builders merchants if they have ever come across same problem.
    Send me some money and i will give you the answer...lol
    Look up flitched beams.
    RS

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
  3. retiredsparks

Funny how none of the 'builders' on here seemed to know ?;)
    RS

4. retiredsparks

5. Isitreally

Isitreally Active Member

Yes it can.

Cut it like this and bolt it together with steel plates on either side.

half-lap-splice.jpg

The BCO will have the final say though.

6. retiredsparks

7. Isitreally

Isitreally Active Member

Hence the last paragraph. ;);)

8. Jord86

Jord86 Well-Known Member

Yes. Either half lap it like Isitreally has posted along the width, or half lap it along the length say 6inches and connect with coach screws or bolts. Make sure the lap is under a rafter and you have installed struts supporting the two purlins either side of the join.

9. John Bunyan

John Bunyan Member

Thanks all. Sorry I didn't mention the purlins are timber. 11 x 3. The guy who got the timber got the wrong lengths so I need to joint two purlins twice in the length!
    They are going about 4 foot underneath the existing purlins and then clad both sides with two layers of 9mm ply to form box beams for the new bedroom floor joists to hang off. Jord, do you mean like this.. services-roof-3.jpg

10. John Bunyan

John Bunyan Member

this would be the easier joint, I mean what power tool could you use to do the width half lap apart from a recip saw? don't want to hand saw them!

11. John Bunyan

John Bunyan Member

Looks like the overlap is twice the depth so in my case the 11 x 3 purlins would overlap 22 inch?

12. John Bunyan

John Bunyan Member

What's the difference between carriage and coach bolts? do screwfix do 12 inch bolts appropriate for this? questions questions!

13. Jord86

Jord86 Well-Known Member

A circular saw. Yes to your other question, I would use the joint in your picture if it was my house, in my opinion. Carriage and coach bolts one and the same.

John Bunyan likes this.
  14. dobbie

dobbie Well-Known Member

This is a scarf joint for a purlin.
    [​IMG]

John Bunyan and Isitreally like this.
  15. Isitreally

Isitreally Active Member

John Bunyan likes this.
  16. Jord86

Jord86 Well-Known Member

Jesus, haven't seen that since college days. Splayed scarf joint, also used to join ridge boards together if not possible in one length. Bit unnecessary today though with other methods of fixing.

John Bunyan likes this.
  17. John Bunyan

John Bunyan Member

Just to be clear I said recip because you'd have to cut 11 inch deep, 5 1/2 from each side if you did the half lap the other way. I'll do it the other way with a circular saw as we both said.