Does fitting a separate CU preclude testing existing circuits

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Lokkars Daisy, Oct 25, 2012.

1. Lokkars Daisy

Lokkars Daisy New Member

In the course of my much varied enterprise I happened on this opinion
    Connecting a new circuit into an existing consumer unit requires checking of existing circuits.
    Breaking into the meter tails fitting a Henley box and a separate consumer unit reduces the responsibility for checking and signing off the existing wiring

Is there any truth in the above, and if so, why?

2. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Adding a new circuit to an existing c/u only requires testing of the new circuit and earthing and bonding etc. Lokks, no requirement to test all the existing circuits.

3. Lokkars Daisy

Lokkars Daisy New Member

That's true seneca, so if you were to fit a separate consumer unit for a for an aditional circuit would there be any less testing involved, I'm sure not, but just running this up the flagpole . The above comments re testing , are from a manufacturers advice with reference to connecting a solar panel to an installation

4. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Surely you'll be altering the characteristics of the supply(1 supply SHARED between 2 distributions), which may affect all other parts of the installation, so they should all be tested for ok?

No ?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

5. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

I can't see there would be any less testing required Lokks, you'd still have to test the new circuit and earthing, 

6. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

Yep, only test your new circuit whether it be from a new small CU or the original.  If you had to replace the old CU to make room for spare ways, you would have to test all.

7. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

That's correct Handy, as you said NO.

8. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

I agree with sen. :)

9. wally

wally Screwfix Select

I agree with sen & Lec

10. Lokkars Daisy

Lokkars Daisy New Member

I agree with sen, lec & un

the manufacturer has had a bum steer

11. J.P.

J.P. New Member

Irs like when you build an extension. Whip in a DB specifically for said, and forget messing with the existing DB.

12. Lokkars Daisy

Lokkars Daisy New Member

Yeah JP , forget about messing about with existing stuff but constaints are still the same