Does integrated fridge freezer need a stand/cabinet?

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by newdiyer, Apr 12, 2021.

1. newdiyer

newdiyer New Member

Hi. First time posting, apologies if this is the wrong forum or a stupid question.

Bought a discounted fridge freezer today from IKEA. It is an integrated one.

But the plan is to just use it as a non integrated one and put it on the kitchen floor. The door opens fine without handles.

It will be delivered in a couple of days.

Got home and sense kicked in and now think I need a kitchen appliance cabinet to put it in, so air can flow underneath it and get up behind it. Is that correct?

Or could I just put it on an appliance stand with wheels, the sort you use so it can pull out easily. This would lift it about 10 cm up. Is that enough space for air?

Or should I cancel the order and just buy a standard non integrated one?

Any advice welcome.

2. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Screwfix Select

Yes!
    Cando

3. newdiyer

newdiyer New Member

Thanks! So a wheeled stand won’t do the job? My wife seems to think it will provide the space required for ventilation.

4. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Screwfix Select

It probably will... just seems a silly thing to do... It will look silly.
    I suppose it depends on how much of a bargain it was as to whether or not it's worth it.
    Regards,
    Cando

newdiyer likes this.
  5. newdiyer

newdiyer New Member

Thanks. Took your advice and cancelled the order.

6. Tilt

Tilt Screwfix Select

For future, I believe air needs to get around the back of the appliance.......

I know you would usually (at least ideally) put a vent in the plinth, but that is because it would usually be in a cabinet and closed in at the sides.
    If it was freestanding, and just on a type of shelf, set solid to the floor, just to help it seat properly, and therefore not closed in at the sides by a cabinet then air circulation would not be a problem IMO.

Would still look a bit odd though I think but if needs must??? sometimes..........