Does internal wooden lintel need replaced?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by RHodgett, Sep 9, 2018.

Tags:
  1. RHodgett

RHodgett New Member

I have just bought a Victorian (~1880) semi that I am going to work on for the next year before moving in. The cellar had a fake wooden panel wall which I removed that exposed an old rotten window. I have removed the rotten window and found that two large flags at the front of the house are covering the window opening. I want to fit a new UPVC window into where the old window was and open it up again:

[​IMG]

The walls are solid brick with the outside lintel made of stone (no cracks or issues that I can see) and on the inside there is a wooden lintel. There is a very small area of the wooden lintel that seems damp and soft (see the left of the image) but mostly it seems solid:

[​IMG]

What I want to know is - is it ok to fit a new UPVC window into the gap of the internal bricks or should I look to replace the wooden lintel first? Access isn't easy in this area so I imagine this might be a difficult job?

I have alerted building control that I am installing new UPVC windows. I've a mate who is a window fitter who is going to come and fit them for me but I need to size them up and order them then building control will come out to check and sign it off.

Any advice would be very much appreciated!

2. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

If building control see the wooden lintel I would make a bet they'd demand it to be changed for a concrete one, common sense though will tell you that if it is in good shape, no rot or deflection, and it's been the same way for not far off 150 years, then nothing bad is going to occur. Isnt your mate FENSA registered? No need for building control to check on the installation then.

3. RHodgett

RHodgett New Member

Thanks for that. I'm tempted just to keep it as it seems solid and as you say, been there ~140years. I'm afraid my mate isn't FENSA registered.