Does my circular saw sound "normal"?

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by Drill3r, Jul 16, 2021.

1. Drill3r

Drill3r New Member

Hello everyone,

I just took delivery of my first circular saw (model), and have noticed that when I release the trigger, the noise it makes as the blade slows doesn't sound terribly healthy. It takes about 5 seconds for it to come to a stop, and in that time, I hear what sounds like a ticking, rattling sound -- a bit like a playing card in spokes. I don't hear it when the blade is removed.

As the users of this forum have a wealth of experience, I wondered if you'd kindly take a listen and tell me if this is normal? In this audio clip, I start and stop it 3 times.

https://voca.ro/1kk2vLxxcU3o

I've tried two different blades and each was properly tightened and isn't coming into contact with the blade guard. However, the blades do seem to rattle back and forward a little, though not side to side. I've recorded a video clip to demonstrate -- is this normal for a circular saw?

https://i.imgur.com/usb3kcq.mp4

Any advice/reassurance you can offer would be gladly received! :D

2. spirits are real 2016

spirits are real 2016 Screwfix Select

No that sounds normal to me and nothing to worry about just join the rotary club..

3. Drill3r

Drill3r New Member

Thanks mate, good to know it's all normal.

4. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

If the blade stops quickly (around 5 seconds), then the tool is fitted with an electronic brake which is a good safety feature - not standard on all spinning bladed tools

It’s just the noise from this safety feature being activated, sounds the same as a few tools I have with electric brake so nothing to worry about

As for the blade ‘rattling backwards and forwards’ - again nothing to worry about - it’s just your finger manually spinning the motor back and forth - as you could do with a drill / lawnmower / etc

Any other movement with the blade would be a big NO and render the tool highly dangerous but in your case - all seems normal to me (and others)

5. Drill3r

Drill3r New Member

Thanks a lot DIYDave! Very useful info to have. :)