Does nobody use conduits any more ?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by murrmac, Oct 17, 2013.

1. murrmac

murrmac Member

Just finished putting in a raised floor in the loft of my son's freshly bought (new build ) house.

By 'eck, there were cables running over joists , I had to watch what I was doing I can tell you.

It were never like this back in the day, all the electricals were conduited ...

2. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

By heck, tha must be owd.... Can doo it?, that's what we asked the apprentices when we left um ter dow jobs, whilst we went down't pub. :p:p:p:p:p:p

3. Tazmaniandevil

Tazmaniandevil New Member

Cables running over joists? Never on my watch.
    I remember when serving my apprenticeship an "auld bloke" telling me my generation was the last of the real tradesmen. Oh how we laughed.
    Turned out to be true though. No-one seems to learn the stuff we did any more. Last time I saw any new fully tubed domestic installs was 1986 for the old Scottish Special Housing Association on a job in Glasgow. Had 2 4th year "laddies" working for me at that point who had never tubed and wired anything before.

4. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

When I wer' lad, I had to work so quick, t' tallow dripping off t'die would catch fire before hitting t'ground.
    ...and if you tell the young un's that....they wooont believe you !
    RS

SusansHusband likes this.
  5. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

If your having to put in a second floor above the ceiling joists, the ceiling joists can't be substantial. I would say would be the type/size that should not be drilled/notched.

If you're doing commercial jobs in high specked installs, you will likely find galv trunking in the loft or ceiling voids, with either PVC or galv conduit drops buried in the walls (or surfaced in stores etc). Not in homes though.