Does this look dangerous

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by demoguy, Aug 8, 2013.

1. demoguy

demoguy Member

Hi all just finished have new heating in and while floorboards were up spotted this that previous owner had done.[​IMG]
    I would have thought this should be in junction box or am i wrong? I wont show u what else we found don't wanna scare you all lol !!!! previous owner wants shooting!!

2. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

Genius! 

3. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Not immediately dangerous but well rough!

4. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

Bito Black tape and a 'nip' up and it'll be fine!    ;)

5. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

I've worked in house recently that had wires joined by twisting and a little bacolite cap on the twisted wires, apperently it was the way it was done in the sixties when this house was built, When I told the geezer the house was due for a rewire, he said, " if its lasted this long, it;ll do till I pass away," I guess that wont be far away, the chap was in in 90's, :(

6. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

That's very, very dangerous.

Someone could trip up on that!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

7. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

You'll not get an 'Open Mic' night with material like that Hands! 

8. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

How about, "I woke up this morning and there were 2 Jumbo Jets at the top of our stairs! I must have left the landing light on," ?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

9. J.P.

J.P. New Member

10. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

11. demoguy

demoguy Member

Guess i leave it as it is then shove it back under the floor and seal floor boards up.
    Just thought it should have been in a plastic junction box. OH well thanks :eek:

12. demoguy

demoguy Member

This is another trick guy put heating in should be a notch out of joist this is what we found in a few joists[​IMG]

13. Lokkars Daisy

Lokkars Daisy New Member

As you have it exposed the least you can do is join it up using a good quality 30A junction box ( in theory as it will become inacessible then a maintainance free jb should be use ) if you tighten an ordinary good quality JB up , say three times at 15 min intervals then it will last the life of the cable.

14. J.P.

J.P. New Member

Bad news that joist photo - the joist must be sitting on top of a divider wall or something surely. Flipping heck.

New heating?..;)

I don't think so..

15. mr reflex

mr reflex Member

must have been price work

16. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

As Lokks said, just stick them all into a 30amp JB and shove it all back under the floor!

17. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

Blimey those photo's are quite shocking! :eek:

18. DIYDave

DIYDave Guest

Whilst changing the block to a JB  it would also be a nice touch to add some earth sleeving - a rarity with diy electrics it seems

19. J.P.

J.P. New Member

New heating my arris. Those  primaries (or loop), and I dunno what the other pipe is for have been in for at least what 20 years.

20. demoguy

demoguy Member

In the photos is the old heating prev owner put in himself i assume.
    My plumber has ripped it all out and started again he could not believe it when he took boards up either!!!!
    Here is another shot this was under stair landing this is the same joist but other end !!!!!!!!!   :eek:
    Needless to say have repairs to do now

[​IMG]