Does this look like Asbestos?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Lee philips, Jul 30, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Lee philips

Lee philips New Member

Looking at buying a house and this is the garage. You'll probably have to zoom in but does this look like Asbestos panels?? Thanks.

20190730_145806_800x600_1600x1200.jpg

2. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Why ask here, get the vendor to provide a report as part of the house sale. Not difficult

KIAB and koolpc like this.
  3. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

And a good evening to you

4. Severntrent

Severntrent Screwfix Select

Yes looks like typical asbestos garage

5. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

As your know from our experience, no matter what we think, it has to go down to the house survey and solicitors, to determine if it is or ins't and factor that into any potential house sale.

KIAB likes this.
  6. The Teach

The Teach Screwfix Select

its a garage and it has acm's,there are many like it ;). why not ask for an asbestos survey from a licensed asbestos contractor,although the vendor can refuse to pay but you can pay for the survey and copy the vendor in on the survey result.

i would be more concerned if there were concealed acm's in the actual house :(

7. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Check council website to see if you can dump it for free. We did some years ago.

8. Severntrent

Yes totally agree but the question was does it look like asbestos panels, and they do.

9. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Or they could look like asbestos free sheets

upload_2019-7-31_9-5-27.png

10. Severntrent

But that wasn't the question

11. youngy_c

youngy_c New Member

Yes I would say 100%. The stippling is usually indicative of asbestos cement (crysotile) but not always, small chance it is amosite fibre board but I doubt it. Unlikely Superflex looking at the age of it. Have a look on the floor for bits that could be popped in a Jiffy bag and sent for bulk analysis, £10 from most good analytical firms. Don't get them to come out and sample it though, they will do the same and charge you 10x that. Amazing how much of it is still around really.

12. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Don't forget the roof! :eek:

13. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Yes.

14. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

99.99999999 recurring certain it is asbestos. Also looks like AC to me so nasty, but not a disaster.;)

15. spike47

spike47 Member

Would def say they are Asbestos and the roof looks like asbestos as well , I believe they are safe as long as you do not drill or cut them ! .