does this sound right for a flat bay window roof ??

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by tph1, Oct 16, 2006.

1. tph1

tph1 Member

just been quoted to re-roof the flat mineral felt roof above my GF bay window. Typical 3m long x 1m wide flat roof.

Price includes stripping off old layers of felt and rebuilding with treated ply to falls (old roof was flat) inc all edges etc etc

inc VAT was £587 ?? seems a bit pricey to me

although say materials are £100, then 2 men @ £200 per day, could be the £500 + VAT ????

any thoughts?

2. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

dunno, but 4 days labour seems a lot.
    I had a flat roof on my shop done 30m2, 2 men 2 days!
    Think it was £1200-00ish.

3. Willy Duwitt

Willy Duwitt New Member

That's 2 ( not 4 ) man-days ie 2 men for 1 day or 1 man for 2 days. I'd say that's what you'd expect to have to pay and I doubt you'll get it much cheaper. Whether it represents good value is a separate question! But if he / they do a good job it should last you at least 15 years.

4. tph1

tph1 Member

yes, a 15 year guarantee comes with it... I'm just presuming it is a job for 2 guys for 1 day though ...

5. Willy Duwitt

Willy Duwitt New Member

1 man could comfortably do this job in 2 days.

6. kkkkkk

kkkkkk New Member

2 exp men half a day easy, and a lot cheaper if in the north of england,

7. ­

­ New Member

2 exp men half a day easy, and a lot cheaper if in
    the north of england,

but no one charges for half a day do they. It's a full day when including time to pick up materials and a good clear up at the end.

Price sounds very fair to me.

8. Willy Duwitt

Willy Duwitt New Member

2 exp men half a day easy, and a lot cheaper if in
    the north of england,

I'm in the North West and, trust me, it wouldn't be much cheaper ( granted there are always fly by night cowboys who'll do it for £300 (cash), but you get what you pay for ).

My advise : get someone reputable in, pay the money and rest happy in the knowledge that your roof probably wont give you any problems for the next 15 yrs.

9. kkkkkk

kkkkkk New Member

It would be priced by the sq metre, so 3 @ over £170 a sq m2, is good going if you can get it!!

10. RPConstruction

RPConstruction New Member

I do alot of flat roofing especially this time of year, it sounds like a good price to me, just be glad its ground floor if it was higher you would have scaffolding ontop!

Cheers Rich

11. tph1

tph1 Member

Many thanks people... some great advice there without a single useless sarky answer or some smug pedantic fool asking me what grade of mineral felt was specified !!!! HOORAH !

(although I suspect some are now to follow...)

I'm in south manchester by the way

12. bondy

bondy New Member

weve just done a flat roof on a side porch. quoted 400 inc materials. 2 of us did it in 6 hours. materials were about 70 quid.

13. clarkster

clarkster New Member

as the old saying goes folk know the price of everything and the value of nothing!