Doing my own tiling, advice needed please!

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by wimsy76, Apr 22, 2009.

1. wimsy76

wimsy76 New Member

Hi guys,

Things are very tight at the moment and I have to do my own bathroom walls and floor. Looking forward to it but need some pointers please

1. I will lay ply over floorboards before tiling but I believe I have to prime them first. Primer as in PVA? Edges and side facing the floorboards, correct?

2. 18mm ply seems a bit high for my floor, will 12mm be fine? Does it have to be WBP, I assume so.

3. Is it a good idea to leave the floor to settle after grouting and before I start installing the toilet, bath, sink etc? If so how long? 24 Hours ok?

I have learnt alot from your forum, any more tips would be appreciated. If I could afford to get it done professionally I would but hopefully alot of patience will get me through!!!

Thanks guys.

2. GKU

GKU New Member

Do <u>NOT</u> use PVA , there are many posts on this forum explaing why , just do a search , use BAL Prime . Install <u>bath</u> BEFORE tilng , <u>basin & wc</u> AFTER tiling . 12mm is not really strong / rigid enough , but its your bathroom , you take the chances ;)

3. tic tic

tic tic New Member

18mm for the floor...tile walls first leaving bottom cousre off.. then tile floor using bal spf leave few hours grout then put bottom course tiles on wall leaving 2-3mm gap for exspansion.. fill with good mastic sealant color 2 suit grout on wall or floor.. forgot prime ply underside an edges with bal sbr srewed down ever 150mm-200mm..

4. imran_

imran_ New Member

Take up boards and lay 25mm ply. Voila!

5. lightning bolt

lightning bolt New Member

y cant he use PVA

6. GKU

GKU New Member

As said before - do a search on this subject on this forum , there are many , many posts explaining the reasons why .

7. imran_

imran_ New Member

PVA, the solution to the world's problems.... Perhaps we could drop some on the middle east.....?

8. wimsy76

wimsy76 New Member

thanks for the advice. It looks like you prefer the bal adhesives. Where could i get this stuff for a reasonable price? Is it best to steer clear of b+q, topps tiles etc? Are the small independants more competitive on the bal range? Also,just wondering- a 4" angle grinder or a tile cutting machine? I have used both and seem to have more control with the grinder.

9. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

To paraphrase The Kaiser Chiefs "Rubi Rubi Rubi Rubi

10. tic tic

tic tic New Member

for tile cutter..wat type of tiles r u putting on walls an floor...for the bal addy if u havnt got tiles yet try for discount when buying ur tiles..

11. tic tic

tic tic New Member

sigma cutters for me..cant fault them been using them for many years but each 2 there own as they say..

12. wimsy76

wimsy76 New Member

Thanks once again for the advice.

I am using porcelain tiles 200mmx600mmx10mm, both on the floor and walls. What do you reckon on the tile spacers? What size for the floor and a different size for the walls?

13. tic tic

tic tic New Member

first make sure ur using bagged addy for this size of tile for the WALLS.. an FLOOR..as for spacers its ur call..wat substrate r ur walls..??

14. GKU

GKU New Member

Always use a "bagged" adhesive for large tile formats , the spacers are down to your personal taste really ;)

15. wimsy76

wimsy76 New Member

Cheers guys,

I am removing the tiles which are on the walls (walls half tiled). I hope the walls will be alright, I thought about getting them skimmed but from what I read on here you guys seem to agree that you have to wait 4ish weeks for the plaster to go off before tiling. Unfortunately I haven't got that sort of time.

I was going to just sand/remove the majority of the carp and see how it is. Probably horrified you pros with this eh?

16. GKU

GKU New Member

Your walls will probably be ok , unless they've got <u>major</u> holes in them , its quite common when taking old tiles off to take out small lumps of plaster as well , most of which can be filled by either tile adhesive or some sort of filler etc , you should'nt need to get it skimmed , and even if you do need to get it skimmed you will only have to wait a <u>couple</u> of days before tiling , its only FULL plaster (backing coat etc) that you have to wait 4 or 5 weeks before tiling ;)

17. GKU

GKU New Member

Your walls will probably be ok , unless they've got <u>major</u> holes in them , its quite common when taking old tiles off to take out small lumps of plaster as well , most of which can be filled by either tile adhesive or some sort of filler etc , you should'nt need to get it skimmed , and even if you do need to get it skimmed you will only have to wait a <u>couple</u> of days before tiling , its only FULL plaster (backing coat etc) that you have to wait 4 or 5 weeks before tiling ;)

18. GKU

GKU New Member

Sorry about the repeat post , this website can be really naff sometimes , every now and then this website freaks out :O

19. wimsy76

wimsy76 New Member

Cool, ta for that. As the saying goes 'prep is everything'. If i pull this off and the missus is happy i will buy you all a drink......

20. imran_

imran_ New Member

I've given up even hoping the walls will be alright. 6mm backer board, will also help get any unevenness out.