Dont EVER try this!

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by ukwoody, Nov 17, 2005.

1. ukwoody

ukwoody New Member

I am a chippie with 25+ years of experience. Had to fit a fire door today. Got out electric planer and started to plane. I noticed a few chips were flying about as if the chute was a bit blocked. Now I don't really know what went thru my mind. I think I thught it was a hand plane.

I just ran my fingers along the blade WHILST IT WAS STILL ON!!!!!.

Several hours later afer having the remaining skin cut from my fnger at A&E, I now have the fleshy part of my midle finger missing and a bad cut to another finger.

What the hell was I thinking? And isn't it typical, I cant work for at least a week now - right at the busiest I have been for months!

The word *** comes to mind!

Just goes to show how at times we just let our minds wonder when we shouldn't do.

Regards, "Two Finger" Woody

[Edited by: forum admin]

2. Bob Property

Bob Property New Member

Sometimes things like that happen. You can't explain why, as when you think about it after you know you would never have done it. Many years ago I witnessed the same sort of thing, a chap picked up a soldering iron by the wrong end :( . Exactly what you said, he had no idea why, could not explain it, had been soldering for years and could only assume he was momentarily distracted for some reason.
    Get well soon!

3. Lightning McQueen

Lightning McQueen New Member

Once nailed my knackers to the kitchen table.

Don't know why I did it. I knew it was going to hurt, but I just couldn't stop myself.

Yours,

1bollock.

4. HAMMERBOY

HAMMERBOY New Member

In the summer i had the table saw out in the garden making a playhouse for the kids. Was setting the fence with my tape measure and for some inexplicable reason i switched the power on instead of moving the fence :O

Now , i haven't shat myself for 30 odd years but boy was i close that day

So, ukwoody , that makes 2 ******* !!

5. deadonmate

deadonmate New Member

Ah I like to call this "the unthinking moment" have nearly done things myself a few times but my mate was putting a bit of 3 x 9 plank thru the table saw, I was at the back of the saw pulling the cut timber off, he had an unthinking moment when for some reason the cut remains left on the table, with the saw still running, instead of using the push stick he had, he used his finger, got a lovely clean cut on his index finger caught it between the riving knife and the blade.

Of course after I was revived bout and hour later seeing a fountain of blood,cos he's my mate I administered first aid Lol

6. Defcon

Defcon New Member

Was once drilling a hole in a small metal box with a 25mm hole cutter. I had the box on the ground held with my left foot. After the cutter went through I pulled out the drill and the cutter caught my sock and pulled it out of my boots. Quickest sock change ever.

7. barnet bill

barnet bill New Member

I was drilling a hole between floors with an inch arber bit {the one with the little screw on the end} my mate was on the floor below making sure it was in the right place,when i broke through the boards for some reason he just grabbed the bit in his hand but i didnt know he was holding it so i sqeezed the trigger to pull it back out,it made a terrible mess of his hand.

8. Hitch.

Hitch. New Member

I learned to unplug the hardway to, on a 5" grinder...
    Holding the disc with my right hand, grabed the spindle lock with left, but caught the switch at the same time, let go of the disc quickly.... but ran the grinder with an ultra thin cutting disc straight up my right arm, from wrist and up 6". another mm deeper and could have been a vein! That was about 3 days before i got married....everyone thought id tried to kill myself!!!

9. ukwoody

ukwoody New Member

Thank God I'm not the only one who does these things!

As a footnote to my injury, It actually happened in a residential home. Matron was fab, but she told me the following.
    Cook has been there for nearly 13 years, last year - for no logical reason - she decided to stick her finger in the meat slicer to clean it whilst it was still on :0). She now has the top of her index finger missing.

Why the hell do we do it?

Woody

10. diysurgeon

diysurgeon New Member

About 10 years ao I was making 'study' booths for a local school library. I was ripping down some mahogany to form edging. Spent a while doing this in the workshop, then a mate walks in telling me the tea is ready. I looked up while pushing the timber through the table saw, forgot to stop (and use the push sticks). That tea cost me the tops of three fingers on my left hand. Funny thing there was little pain. Lots of pain when they remove the stictches!

11. Scottyboy

Scottyboy Guest

Must say - I've often found it tempting to help a slowing planer with my fingers.

Once got a nice stripe down the end of my middle finger when ripping redwood for door surround - though I was far enough away but timber had lifted slightly and when I pushed it flat I got to a wider part of blade...

Also a nice score across pinky which was only saved by the nail when I glanced up while scoring plasterboard and went squint.

I also removed a toilet from the wall after disconnecting supply and thought 'too heavy - you forgot to flush it first' As I reached for the the handle a voice said '**** - the soil pipe isn't connected!' but it was too late. My brain had already told the hand to flush.
    Needless to say I didn't tile the floor that day after all.

12. Scottyboy

Scottyboy Guest

On reading that back now I reckon I need to stick to stamp collecting or something safe :)

13. yosser hughes

yosser hughes New Member

Yep, been there, done it on more than one occasion. Can't explain it. Almost as if your in a trance at the time. You live and learn I suppose. Anyway best wishes for a speedy recovery and hope your back at work sooner rather than later.

Yoss

14. gardm1nt

gardm1nt New Member

I once absentmindedly picked up my gas torch by the nozzle. I have still got the burn scars on my right palm. Similar story, distracted by the customer coming in with a cup of tea.

A mate of mine who does welding also lost the top of his thumb after putting his hand out to the still moving blade of am angle grinder.

regards Paul

15. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

When I was quite young it was a bastad hot day and I was drilling through metal with no shoes or socks on. Changed up to a larger drill size after making the pilot hole, chucked the small drill on the floor, stood back on to the discarded drill and ended up with "stanley" permanently tattooed on to the sole of my left foot.

16. two by one

two by one New Member

Thats the fourth time I have heard about a planer injury, they must be quite common. Hope you recover soon.

17. ultimatehandyman

ultimatehandyman New Member

Ouch!

I hope you are not unable to work for too long!

Get well soon.

18. Fabulous Freda

Fabulous Freda New Member

I read a forum thread once called "Dont EVER try this!" & fell off my chair several times either fainting or laughing.

19. Mof

Mof Guest

What I have been doing for the last few years is to count to 3 after switching off my circular saw before doing ANYTHING to the timber which has just been cut, just in case I end up with any of the accidents which have been mentioned.Lets hope I never touch a moving blade or knife.

20. Trip-Lock

Trip-Lock New Member

On reading this thread, it reminds me of the time when I was cutting conduit on a big dewalt pull down saw. I cut off a small length of tube, but it was a nats to big.

Because it was not too long, to hold it whilst I cut, for some unexplicable reason I put my finger in the tube so that the top off my finger poked out of the other end.

I placed the conduit against the back stop with my digit still in it, and started the machine. I was pulling down the blade to cut the tube when it dawned on me that I was about to cut my finger clean off.

What a stupid ar@e. The thought of it now makes me feel quite sick.

triplock