Dont EVER try this!

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by ukwoody, Nov 17, 2005.

1. Hoskie

Hoskie New Member

Had my right hand under a 6ft double radiator whilst trying to remove the inlet valve, radiator falls off the wall and lands on my little pinky and cuts right through to the bone. 4 hrs later and several stitches I am driving home on the A64 stone hits the window and then window shatters i head for the next exit which i missed and launched my van over the verge seperating the slip road and ended up on the grass verge of the otherside of the slip road. God knows how i missed the passing traffic but thank god i did. Arrived home sometime later and police knocking at my door, been reported for dangerous drving. I took the rest of the week off.

2. Chocdrop4767

Chocdrop4767 New Member

3. Bob Property

Bob Property New Member

thought we'd had enough stories of mishaps....but
    here's a few more to add to the pile

http://www.amgron.clara.net/circularsawbenches/acciden
    ts.htm

Just read through these :(
    Kickback on 6" x 5" piece of timber...riving knife coming out...I'm buying body armour to go with my safety glasses.

4. Seaco33

Seaco33 New Member

All sounds familiar to me several years ago watching Norm on tv he's using a planer thicknesser, great I thought if I turn my power planer over and lock it in my vice I could plane my wood like Norm...

All was going well until a piece of wood that I was planing caught the spinning blade and like a Paul Daniels trick it was gone, as the bed of the planer is very small my fingers at the time were over said blade you can guess the rest a chunk off my thumb and middle finger, funny thing was my wife rushed out to find the bits missing not understanding that at that speed they had virtually vapourised, this eposode has changed the way I work I now have a proper workshop with a planer thicknesser, and I'm always carefull now...it's to easy to become complacent.

Hope your well soon...from someone else that nearly had a Star Trek live long and prosper finger salute!!!

5. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

seaco, try the right feed direction

6. devil's advocate

devil's advocate New Member

My ex-HOD was changing a router bit in front of his class. He switched the router off at the socket, but didn't pull the plug out. Half way through the job he thought he'd remind those standing nearest the socket "DON'T switch it on".

Bozo kid mishears, so 'click'. HOD loses top section of index finger to first knuckle, clean off. As he tries to stem the blood flow - and control his shock - a pupil picks up the finger part; "SIR! SIR! Do you want this?!"

Another Technology teacher at the same school wanted to plane down a piece of timber mid-lesson. He rushes into the technician's room and switches on the planer-thicknesser, and starts to push the wood across the planer with his hands. Massive kick-back, wood disappears, and he starts to plane the skin off both his forearms up to his elbows. The technicians were picking bits of skin out off the machine for weeks afterwards.

7. Goodwill

Goodwill Member

There are some horror stories on this thread all right.

The story above by DA reminds of when one of the carpenters in the joinery shop of the firm I worked for decided to push the timber he was planing all the way through the planer using only his hands. He took off all of the fingers on one hand.

He did not fully realise what he had done until he turned to pick the next piece of timber, which, of course, he couldn't grip with both hands. He then saw his fingerless hand in front of him gushing blood.

Oh man, the memory of it still makes me feel so sorry for him.

8. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

I will never forget the Bosch Rep demonstrating electric planers when they first came out ( 70's ).

He lovingly planed a bit of wood and then turned the planer over to explain how it worked (unfortunately the early planers did not have an engine brake)and his fingers touched the still spinning blades ...OUCH!

I don't know who had the bigger shock - the Bosch Rep or the blood splattered customers!

9. decorator dave

decorator dave New Member

I remember about 11 years ago, i was painting an outside on scaffolding, finished painting the area and stepped back to have a look and feel down the hole where the ladder came up.

Oh how everyone laughed, as i laid in a tangled heap at the bottom cuddling a timber ladder.

was constently ribbed for about 2 years afterwards.

ps: i even managed to keep hold of my brush. lol

10. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

I was stripping the insulation off the ends of electrical cable with my teeth ( as you do) when I picked up a live wire and put it in my mouth.....not recommended! :O

The hospital Dr said I must have a strong heart!

11. wise uncle

wise uncle New Member

Couple of years back, Bought some copper & as loading in van i always slide it up inside a lenght of waste pipe. It had gone up a metre or so & wouldn't go any further. Pulled the copper out to have a look. At this very moment the lad that worked for me slung the blockage from the other end at a serious rate of knots.
    After crawling around in pain feeling my eye is at the back of head. I was very relieved to see it was a broom handle & not a piece of offcut copper.
    The lad got called every can't under the sun for days.

12. G Brown

G Brown New Member

I went up a step ladder and brushed my head against the open filaments of a broken light bulb. My hair stood on end for ages afterwards!

13. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I was once hanging a "Please mind your head" sign but dropped it and and on standing up after picking it up I cracked my head, on the obstruction I was supposed to be signing, so hard I sprained my neck.

14. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

We had a young yard hand. He jumped off the back of a lorry straight onto a plank of wood with a 4" nail sticking out, he came " skiing" into the office, white as a sheet and blood pouring out everywhere.

We had to take him to the hospital in the van 'cos we couldn't get him into the car with the plank attached!

Needless to say there were plenty of " plank" jokes when he came back to work!

15. Goodwill

Goodwill Member

The common link in many of these tragic tales seems to be the drifting away of the conscious mind. It only takes a moment of distraction or a stupid decision, made against your better judgment, to change your life forever.

Whenever I sense that I have let my mind drift away from the job in hand I repeat the word "consciously" to myself, it brings me straight back. I have been a tad late with it on a few occasions, but, hey ho, nothing's perfect.

16. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

I was rodding a drain once, it was in a field quite a bit lower than the farmhouse it was connected to and on quite a steep slope.

All of a sudden my rods pushed the drain apart and I was showered with a huge fountain of raw sewage.

The farmer was rolling about utterly helpless with laughter while I picked bits of sweetcorn ( why is it always sweetcorn?) and other "stuff" out of my hair.

Once he had got over his laughing fit he got a hosepipe and hosed me down.

It turns out the drain was made from old land drains simply butted together. Once I started rodding I just pushed them apart and caused the explosion of filth!

Still, I got the job of laying the new drains - properly this time!

17. joinerjohn

joinerjohn New Member

A mate of mine was employed on a training scheme for miners years ago as the trainer. One day one of the ex miners put his hand under the planer/thicknesser to clear out shavings whilst it was still on the overrun after switching it off. Managed to take off 3 fingers and half his thumb. This chaps job before he was made redundant from British Coal??? Health and Safety officer at the local pit !!!!!!!!