Door Alteration

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Y Cymro, Mar 9, 2007.

1. Y Cymro

Y Cymro New Member

I need to have the outside kitchen door altered so that it opens to the outside (small kitchen and need the space to fit a washing machine)

What price should i be expecting to pay a joiner to do the job ?

2. starlight tiles

starlight tiles New Member

so it's a new door to be fitted and alter door stops i take it.2 hours work at the most including all cleaning up.someone self employed might charge £60 whereas a friend of a friend might charge £30.

3. Y Cymro

Y Cymro New Member

I would be using the existing door ...so just would need the frame to be changed from the inside to the outside and the door switching around

Just want to get a rough estimate ...as one guy quoted me £100 !! which to me just seems way to much

4. nigel

nigel Guest

Mazball , are you suggesting cutting out the door stops on ext door frame?

5. DelB

DelB New Member

What exactly is he doing for £100? Think this is a bigger job than you realise.

6. Y Cymro

Y Cymro New Member

He was going to remove the inside door frame...place on the outside and reverse the door and doorstop...just basically do everything that is needed to make an outside kitchen door open outwards rather than inwards to allow me space to fit a washing machine

Maybe im missing something but surely it cant be so difficult a job ?!? or not to the extent of £100 anyway !

...although i have a feeling the workman didnt want the job anyway and had something bigger to do which is why he charged a high price in the first place

7. flyingscotsman

flyingscotsman New Member

how many times do we have to hear "it`s a simple job so i don`t expect it will cost too much" if it`s so simple do it yourself, anyway if he was a tradesman £100 was cheap,should`ve took him.

8. stevie.c

stevie.c New Member

are you sure its got a removerable door stop,because ive never come across external frame which has,usually the frame is rebated.also check if your frame has a cill on it.
    ps,at moment i think £100 is cheap

9. Y Cymro

Y Cymro New Member

cheap,should`ve took him.

He said it would take about a day ...In my mind £100 cash in hand for a days work is a good deal for someone especially when its just labour and no materials

Thanks to everyone else who offered more constructive help....looks like i'll just have to keep shopping around for more quotes

10. Y Cymro

Y Cymro New Member

Oh..by the way...im in North Wales in an area where wages are quite low....average salary around 13k.....so maybe 100 would be acceptable in London / south East etc but there should be allowance for regional variation in pricing

11. foxy

foxy New Member

£100 is a good price even for your area. Turning round an external door is not as straightforward as it seems. As for it being a good day rate, don't forget all the overheads that a self employed person has to fork out.
    After the gyppos have butchered it for £50 buy a mop for when it rains.

12. dunc

dunc New Member

Its more than a standard fitting because you have to hang the door as if it was new, and also make good the hinge and lock cut outs on the internal sitings. This may involve splicing to provide decent stock to set your lock into (Insurance rating). The splice may have to set for 24 hours, before whacking into it with chisels; although he may not have told you this.

If the door has had barrel bolts fitted for the internal fit, these will be redundant. Again this may be filled over, but if they have been fitted into the architraves, they will look odd; after the event. Or its architrave replacement.

So the guy has a lot more to do, and it may take longer than you or he thinks. 100 is reasonable in the circumstances.

13. -chippy_john

-chippy_john New Member

If you're turning the door around to make room for the washing machine where the door normally swings, don't forget you still need to get in and out of the door.

I do know that wages are low in N.Wales,(my nipper is at Bangor Uni) but £100 is probably not far out for the area.

I wouldn't do it for as little as that down here in Hants.

14. chances are that when the casing is removed it will be rotten and need replacing anyway...

15. Guest

how many times do we have to hear "it`s a simple job
    so >i don`t expect it will cost too much" if it`s so
    simple >do it yourself, anyway if he was a tradesman
    £100 was >cheap,should`ve took him.

He said it would take about a day ...In my mind £100
    cash in hand for a days work is a good deal for
    someone especially when its just labour and no
    materials

Thanks to everyone else who offered more constructive
    help....looks like i'll just have to keep shopping
    around for more quotes

Around Glasgow most tradesmen I know, won't come out for less than £200 a day ! and most want photos of the queen, I can drive by their house, and their parked up, if they don't get around that rate they stay at home. What you've been quoted may seem expensive, but the problem is many many people these days have £100,000 mortgages, and that little job £40 quids worth is well gone.

16. flyingscotsman

flyingscotsman New Member

Find out where mazball is, he`ll do it for £30, and that includes the clearing up, jobs a goodun`.

17. big all

big all Screwfix Select

unless i am missing something you cant turn the frame round !!!!!!

you have an external opening with a drip strip under the front edge
    or an inward opening without !!!

you cant just turn them around you need a new frame

big all

18. Not a staright forward job.

Almost certainly you will need a new frame, the projection of the cill will be wrong.

No change out of £200.

Re-siting hinges, re-siting locks and handles, filling in old hinge and lock cut outs, making good and so on.

Refitting an old door can be worse than fitting a new door.

19. Straight not staright

Everyone's assumed that this is a wooden door - is it

20. Y Cymro

Y Cymro New Member

overheads that a self employed person has to fork out.
    After the gyppos have butchered it for £50 buy a mop >for when it rains.

Yes and the overheads for shoe leather avoiding the taxman !! I hardly know a tradesman who declares more than 60% of their salary with these cash in hand jobs....20 working days in a month @ 100 a day and usually less tax paid than the rest of us !! No wonder they all have such big cars !!