Door Alteration

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Y Cymro, Mar 9, 2007.

1. Y Cymro

Y Cymro New Member

Straight not staright

Everyone's assumed that this is a wooden door - is it

Yes its a wooden door

Thanks to all for their replies and help

2. Yes and the overheads for shoe leather avoiding the
    taxman !! I hardly know a tradesman who declares more
    than 60% of their salary with these cash in hand
    jobs....20 working days in a month @ 100 a day and
    usually less tax paid than the rest of us !! No
    wonder they all have such big cars !!

Obvious that you have never been subject to a tax inspection, I do not do cash jobs, everything goes through the books.

Usual case, want a job done cheaply, pay cash, some poor sod comes along no public liability insurance, takes out the door frame and half the wall comes down, crushes neighbours car, kills the dog. Who pays!!

3. Mof

Mof Guest

I think £100 is a very fair quote dont forget that the frame will have to be turned around, is it bedded in between the outside and inside cement/plaster ? If it is not removed it will need the rebate choping off and a new rebate fixed on the inside, its a lot of work, what happens if the plaster/cement breaks off in the process? That means a trip to get some sand cement. What about the weatherproofing at the bottom? I think he had a rethink and thought the price was too low.

4. owen

owen New Member

if this is such an easy job, why don't you try doing it yourself, smart ****?

and while you're at it, try running your own business, paying for insurance, accountants fees, tools, van, banking fees etc etc, then see if you think £100 a day is daylight robbery.

Pen pidyn.

5. cappedup

cappedup New Member

In my mind £100
    cash in hand for a days work is a good deal for
    someone especially when its just labour and no
    materials

Also, this is not just labour, this is needing a skilled bloke with the right gear that knows what he is doing.. you arnt just buying labour, you are buying experience and that dont come cheap..

its very difficult to price a job on a forum, no, its impossible..

6. mind that window

mind that window New Member

I wouldnt work for you.

7. Carp51

Carp51 New Member

"Yes and the overheads for shoe leather avoiding the taxman !! I hardly know a tradesman who declares more than 60% of their salary with these cash in hand jobs....20 working days in a month @ 100 a day and usually less tax paid than the rest of us !! No wonder they all have such big cars !!"

Obviously you're not self employed and on top of your tax have to pay your own national insurance and pension contributions. The above could be seen as libel mate - if I were you I'd think before making wild accusations like that in future.

Remember this is a public forum frequented by reputable tradesmen - perhaps slurs like this aren't a good idea. Personally mate if I were to quote for a job like that, removing the frame, changing the furniture & sill etc. you'd be looking at nearer £200.

I'd get another quote if you think this one is too high - you talk about avoiding the taxman what do you think the bloke who asks for £50 is going to do - and you'll still end up mopping the rainwater off your floor.

8. Carp51

Carp51 New Member

"In my mind £100 cash in hand for a days work is a good deal for someone especially when its just labour and no materials"

Just re-read this and came across the above - so this bloke who's livelihood is his trade and tools has no cost overheads. Have you seen the price of proper tools recently, since he does this day after day you can be sure he isn't using a £30 B&Q drill etc. he probably paid in the region of £300 for tools he knows he can rely on. He probably spent years learning his trade - if it's so simple why haven't you done it yourself?

You seem more interested in what he earns rather than getting a good job done - frankly I pity the person who finally agrees to do it for you

9. -chippy_john

-chippy_john New Member

it's Cymru, actually

Cymru is Wales - I think cymro is Welshman, (but don't quote me on that, I'm no expert).

10. stevie.c

stevie.c New Member

mazball,after seeing all these opinions do you still think you would do it for £60 ?

11. Guest

mazball,after seeing all these opinions do you still
    think you would do it for £60 ?

As I said 2 hours at most, I be giving the door a dash of one coat as well

12. dunc

dunc New Member

I went to quote for some work recently. One of the jobs was a dodgy exterior kitchen door. It was set in a rough and bodged up frame. The door actually had two lengths of 2x2 nailed to the bottom to extend its length. The owners wanted me to 'do something with it to make it look good'.

In order to produce a decent job, the whole frame needed removing and the door binned. Then reframing to the dimensions to accept standard door sizes.

So I discussed this with the owners and they were adamant that they didn't want to do that. So I just didn't quote for it, as it was more than likely to turn into a nightmare. There was just too much to do, and too little left to work with.

They turned down my quote as being too expensive. But I suspect that they were responsible for the state of their door and the general shoddy condition of everything else they wanted to 'make good'.

13. Carl

Carl New Member

I'm a joiner in north Wales and wouldn't touch this job for just £100.

14. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

a new, open out, external door frame costs about £42 (excl vat)

the cowboys and armchair diyers say they can do the job for £60-£100 ;)

15. starlight tiles

starlight tiles New Member

no chance mate not even for 100.read all of them champ.we avoid these type of jobs now,we will only fit new materials.more hassle than their worth,and then you find the customer is never happy.as the saying goes once bitten twice shy.i got the impression it was a straight forward internal swap around. anyway who's using my name with a full stop after it.either goldenboy who hides his name noe or dirtydeeds.

16. prince

prince New Member

I wouldnt do this for £100. More hassle here than its worth I think. If your guy is gonna do it for a ton, then take him. I'd want at least £160 to do that job..

These customers who think its so easy should come and work with us for a day!

Of course they forget, it takes us 5 years to learn our trade, then we have to buy and maintain our tools, pay our liability and van insurance, put diesel/petrol in the van, drive out and give them a quote. Pay our national insurance and tax. thats before we are allowed to make a profit... Its these reasons that Im getting really ****** off with the building industry..

17. prince

prince New Member

no chance mate not even for 100.read all of them champ.we avoid these type of jobs now,we will only fit new materials.more hassle than their worth,and then you find the customer is never happy.as the saying goes once bitten twice shy.i got the impression it was a straight forward internal swap around. anyway who's using my name with a full stop after it.either goldenboy who hides his name noe or dirtydeeds.

Jesus, not 2 of you now Mazda??? Lol..

18. wardoss

wardoss New Member

And dont forget when self employed that unless insurances are taken you get get no money when on holiday or off work for a few days sick. No employers pension contributions. Where I work I get a statement of benefits which tell us excatly what we cost the company and in some cases it can be almost double your take home!!!

Makes £100 look cheap I think

19. peterob

peterob New Member

i am a joiner from north wales accused of being far too cheap and i wouldnt touch that job for 100 quid i would ring mazball up you could probably pay his petrol aswell and still be less than 100