Door Bell HELP!

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Lijong Tao, Sep 9, 2018.

1. Lijong Tao

Lijong Tao Member

Hello

I have the standard plastic black doorbell. I wanted to change it to match our new door furniture so have bought this.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MIX-MATC...var=492101927951&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Today I took the old one off and the new on and it won't work. I changed the wires over too thinking they may need to be in a specific way and still nothing. I put the old fitting back on and it works perfectly. Can anyone tell me where I'm going wrong please?

Thanks Li.
    Pics of bell and bell backing attached.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      208.5 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      38.6 KB
      Views:
  2. spinlondon

spinlondon Screwfix Select

What’s the back of the old bell push look like?
    Does the bell work if you touch the two wires together?

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Door bell mains or battery?
    If battery & new bell push is illuminated it won't work on batteries.

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Just clear up one point, when I say mains, I mean as in mains transformer 220v to 8v as an example.

5. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Sounds like a faulty bell push. If it works with the old one it can't really be anything else.

6. spirits are real 2016

spirits are real 2016 Screwfix Select

can you post a photo of the back of the new bell push please and have you connected the wires with the screw touching the wire and not the plastic.

7. spinlondon

The OP has done.
    It’s the old one I want to see.

8. Lijong Tao

Lijong Tao Member

Apologies, old bell looks like this and it has two screws for the two wires, that's all. It is mains electric with a box on the wall. I don't own a phone or camera so will have to use stock images. I haven't tried touching them together. Will try to borrow a camera today

Attached Files:

9. Lijong Tao

Lijong Tao Member

This is the photo of the back of the doorbell.

Attached Files:

10. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

I was vaguely intrigued with this post as initially (as I’m sure you thought) this should be an easy 5 minute job, no sweat

So I’ve been following the thread, keen for any groundbreaking info to come forth

Then all of a sudden, you drop a massive bombshell .... when someone simply asks ‘post a photo’

Your reply ..........

‘I don’t own a phone’ ..........

Whoaaaaaaa what the fudge, blimey, gosh, surely not guv, followed by a sharp intake of breath whilst whistling through my teeth .... etc

Without meaning to be rude, you’re either;

Under 6 years of age (why u want a door bell)

Live underneath a rock (why u want a door bell)

Your address is simply another planet (you don’t need a door bell)

Are a human dinosaur (why u need a door bell)

Or have a phobia towards mobile phones (perhaps a door bell is ur therapy)

Anyway, I’m going for a lie down now to consider a world without mobile phones (nice temporarily but not owning one ........Nahhhhhhhhh)

Unless any of the above situations :rolleyes:

But really, good luck mate :)

11. Lijong Tao

Lijong Tao Member

Ha ha ha. Not living under a rock I promise. I have been undergoing Chemotherapy and a Radiotherapy for 9 years and not been well enough to use a phone, nor afford one. Had a transplant 2 years ago and just getting back on my feet. Now I am trying to do jobs that have built up, decorating etc.and now painting my front door and frame.

To be honest I really haven’t missed having a phone, although I did enjoy listening to my music on it I have invested in tools instead.

Chemo has rendered me with memory loss so I have to do things slowly and write is all down. I am no electrician so couldn’t understand why it is t working. I tried to touch the wires together and yes that does ring the bell

So not an alien, nor caveman, lol.

Thanks for the humorous reply

12. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

My grandson is 2 1/2 and he has a tablet that he learns on. That has a camera lol.

Nice to hear you are on the mend. Hope your recovery continues at speed.

Sounds like a faulty bell push as stated earlier by Seneca.

Kind regards

13. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Well, that certainly put me in my place good and proper ..... serves me right for trying to be a smart a rse

Seriously hope I haven’t offended you Lijong, and like many others, my own family has been affected by cancer so I do have plenty of insight into the harsh effects of such treatments

It’s certainly no laughing matter but, trying to keep a slight sense of humour, even when the going is tough (and it often is, I know) really can help, just a little, in the most trying of times

Keep going and remain positive all you can, as you’ve said, when you can complete a few jobs here and there, this will give you a great sense of satisfaction. The frustration of not being able to do very much at all, (or nothing at all at times I’m sure), is crushing in itself and a blow to your motivation

So once again I apologise for my c rap sense of humour (?) and wish you all the best and a continued recovery :)

Good looking door bell by the way, very shiny chrome, it’s gonna look great

Would be even better if it actually worked :mad: (sorry...... again)

14. spinlondon

Yep, faulty new bell push.

15. Lijong Tao

Lijong Tao Member

Hey Dave. Hell no, you haven't offended me one single bit. My humour and that of others was the only thing keeping me going at times.

I know replacing a doorbell is a small thing to many but a huge personal victory when you were given 6 months, then because of a transplant, which at the time was a new thing to have, (stem cell) for my condition I pulled through. Still remain physically exhausted after a few short hours but when I do jobs I feel hugely proud. My head wants to do it but my body doesn't most of the time. So please don't worry. Nobody takes the P like I do myself and humour is so important. I was laughing. I feel like a freak without a phone. Everyone has one but I feel better for not having one.

I tested the bell again this pm and still isn't working so am contacting the seller. Will post pics of the door when I finish it (in 2038)

Thanks for all the help guys, much appreciated. Nice to chat to you Dave

16. spinlondon

Do you possess a multimeter or continuity tester?
    If you do, attach or hold the probes to the two terminals and try the button.

17. Lijong Tao

Lijong Tao Member

I don't but I can buy one tomorrow at Screwfix.

18. spinlondon

Don’t know that you need to.
    You know the bell works, simply by touching the two wires.
    When you connect those wires to the bell push, the bell should work.
    Either you’re not connecting the wires correctly, or the bell push is faulty.
    A multimeter or continuity tester would just be additional proof.

19. Lijong Tao

Lijong Tao Member

They simply screw into the new unit. Like a chock block kind of affair. I took the two wires and put them in and tighten it up. There isn't much else to it. I've been given a refund on the bell. Will buy another to save the headache lol

20. spinlondon

Exactly.
    While a multimeter can be a very useful tool, it’s no use if you never use it.