Door closers

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Thermo, Aug 20, 2004.

1. Thermo

Thermo New Member

Hi,
    ive been asked to sort out a front door on an office which people fail to close properly on the way out causing security issues. The door is a large wooden victorian type door with two vertical glazed panels and im sure is quite heavy. the door opens inwards flush against a wall. Whats the best type of door closer for this? anyone any ides or practical tips or suggestions?

Cheers

mark

2. Chippy John

Chippy John New Member

Probably a Briton 2003 will do it, you might need a bigger model depending on the weight of the door; and if the door really is absolutely flush with the wall when open, you will need a parallel arm bracket and fix the closer on the same side as the doorstops.

It's not worth putting a cheap closer on an office door in regular use.

3. Thermo

Thermo New Member

thanks for the advice. I had wondered about a Perko door closer, Any ideas if that would be up to it?

4. Markybob

Markybob New Member

I wouldn't entertain a perko on a high traffic door, go with the briton, it will need to be mounted on the push side either parallel arm or onto the transom. bot note that there will be a power reduction to the closer. that being said, the 2003 will handle very large fire door which are seriously heavy, if still concerned about weight go for the larger 2006

5. Thermo

Thermo New Member

My only concern is that means the door closer will be on the external face of the door (if im reading what youve all said correctly)

6. masona

masona New Member

If the door open inward then the door closer will be internal.

7. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

I don't know the complete set-up there, but would changing
    the hinges to rising butts do the trick. Depends on the door shutting smoothly. The weight will help. ???
    Handyandy - really

8. Chippy John

Chippy John New Member

If the door open inward then the door closer will be
    internal.

Not with a parallel arm fixing it won't.

9. masona

masona New Member

True but Thermo

10. masona

masona New Member

Ignore above post (can you edit your post or not ?)

True but Thermo is concern not having a door closer on the external side, I didn't go into much details !

11. Chippy John

Chippy John New Member

True but Thermo is concern not having a door closer
    on the external side,

If you take the trouble to read the first couple of posts you will see there is a reason for using a parallel arm application.

12. masona

masona New Member

Oh yeah !

The one I've fitted is the body of the door closer on the head of the internal door frame so the door can open against the internal wall, it was sometime ago, can't remember the make.

13. Thermo

Thermo New Member

cheers for the help guys, most helpful

Thermo