Door dimensions

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Chekhov, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Chekhov

Chekhov Member

Is it just me or has the availability of door sizes decreased in options over that last few years? I have a customer who needs three doors replacing. These are the measurements: 2020x816 or if like in old money 74and a half inches by 32 inches . Anyway that is two of them. the other one is 1892x686 or yet again in old money, 74 and a half inches by 27inches. In my experience both of these options were available a few years back, or near enough , granted there might be some trimming involved. Anyway the second option I can live with ..I can make that door fit the frame...I can also do the same with the first option by making the frame fit the door but these were standard sized doors at one time, I even have them in my own house. What is going on?

2. seen it all before

seen it all before Active Member

Not sure what style door your trying to get but I've never failed to get hold of any door style in a 27" that ive been asked to fit. ( and that is lots if times and different doors). and I suppose the same could be said for the 32", can't say I've never been able to get one bit admittedly I've probably only had to find that size once in a while. Where do you shop for your doors??

3. Cecilb70

Cecilb70 Active Member

32 would be cut from a solid 33. 27 is standard door.
    The heights are more troubling needing 3 1/2inch off top and bottom but still ok I think. You'd need solid pine doors btw. I often dismantle doors to make them shorter without them looking daft /becoming weak.

4. Jord86

Jord86 Well-Known Member

They are standard sizes, still available. Your first measurement is a metric sized door whilst your second measurement is imperial sized, both with amounts taken off the height to suit your frames.

5. Cecilb70

Cecilb70 Active Member

If there metric be careful as they can be 40mm thick (not all though) and will bind.also 32 wide doors are even taller(2032) and would need 51/2 inches taking off top and bottom. Probably cut through a dowel!

6. Chekhov

Chekhov Member

Thanks for the replies and tips. The 27" door isn't a problem I can cut that down to suit the height. However I can't find a supplier that does a 2020mm height they don't seem to go above 1981mm...(I'm looking for a four panelled knotty pine or summat like that). Any ideas? 816mmx2020 or 32"x79 and a half, if you prefer old money, used to be a standard size. Of course the other alternative is to make the frame fit the door...not the ideal solution...but needs must!

7. Cecilb70

Cecilb70 Active Member

Just read your metric sizes! They are standard doors as jord86 said. Available most places.

8. Cecilb70

Cecilb70 Active Member

You said in your first post 741/2 high instead of 791/2.

9. goldenboy

goldenboy Well-Known Member

Doors can always be mackled to fit.

Seen some terrible efforts over the years though! Worst was someone who built a houseful of metric frames up to fit imperial doors! Would have been much easier to just buy the correct doors.