Door Entry Phone

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by "Professional" DIYer, Apr 23, 2005.

1. Hi,

I'm replacing a broken video door entry system with an audio one, and was looking at: http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp;jsessionid=2ASURPBSEZ4VDCJO2C4CJ0Q?id=16183&ts=51113

I only have 4 core cable between the door unit and the first handset and wanted to avoid pulling this out.

I wondered if anyone had used this sytem and might be able to answer any of these questions, as I can't without buying the thing and playing with it first:

How many cores are needed to connected the box and handset?
    How many cores between additional phones (does it cable into a handset or the door unit)?
    Does the handset or the door unit connect to the ELV cable?
    Does anywhere know where I can get a sounder/extra handsets for the unit.

Thanks!!

2. This will not work. System asks for 6 core cable but 5 cores are whats needed.
    1. common
    2. transmit (speech)
    3. receive (speech)
    4. call (Buzzer)
    5. door release
    If you dont need the door release you can get away with 4 cores. Other systems are avalible which use only 2 basic cores. Try a search on google. Lots of folk dont know about volt drop to the lock release. If the lock is a long distance from the handset the door will not always open. As this is a replacment you should not have this problem. But as you are a "professional diyer" you know all this , dont you ?

3. Funny you should say that... because the door release was cabled in 1mm2 bell wire to avoid that problem :)

I'll stop being to smug, the name is supposed to be a pi*s take!

Many thanks for your help.

4. If you have a 4 core and the pair to the release your ok

5. PS; if its an old video system with a co-ax cable you could use that to make up the fifth core.
    PPS; i assumed its a pi*s s take,i was being sarcastic !