Door Fitting Stand

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Jitender, Mar 20, 2016.

1. seen it all before

seen it all before Active Member

1 or 2 oak doors a month at £300+ each £40 pounds is peanuts, knowing the door is stuck solid and easy to work on.
    And as nice looking and we'll engineered as OP home made door holder I'd it would cost me more to make one of them and take longer to use. (No disrespect JT, very smart it is).

2. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Just used the stands today for door fitting.

Seem to work quite well, there is a Little play at the bottom as the wedge does not support all the way day. As the door is slightly off the ground, the latches (stops) can be lifted up and if any planing to the edge is necessary then this can be done whiles its held.

3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Jit, it's known as ...'product development'! ;)

CGN likes this.
  4. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

This is the best principal as the wedge has the same gradient as the block, which means that whatever sizer material is clamped it will be held in full surface area contact.

Between pints A and B the surface are parallel. If the grove for the stand had been cutout with a matching taper wedge.
    wEDGE.jpg

5. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I use a Triton superjaws. Holds a door horizontall to trim and fit hinges then if its a awkward / heavy door use it to hold the door upright while I fix it in place

6. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

What were you doing before? :)

7. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I was doing the same thing but less professionally.

8. GoodwithWood

GoodwithWood Active Member

Talking of supporting doors these are great for hanging heavy/fire doors etc. on your own.

Just pop one underneath, pump up with your foot till the hinge meets the mortice and screw in.

9. mr moose

mr moose Screwfix Select

And also they are a bit of a faff, cos you have to shim them to protect the door.

10. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

1 day to go :eek:

11. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Been there twice myself Jit......24 years ago was the last time so abandoned being a company number and went self employed and never looked back. Don't let the bedsteads get you down.;)

12. GoodwithWood

GoodwithWood Active Member

Found my door stand and put it back into use. Just checked and I made it back in 1989! :( Getting old.:confused:

[​IMG][/IMG] door-clamp.jpg

CGN likes this.