Door frame/lining

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Welshmally, Jan 26, 2008.

  1. Welshmally

    Welshmally New Member

    'Scuse my ignorance, but what's the difference between door frame and a door lining? It's for an en suite from the master bedroom.


  2. Vinnie187

    Vinnie187 New Member

    You will need a door lining,
    Door frames are more substantial and normally external
  3. dirtydeeds

    dirtydeeds New Member

    a door lining has an applied stop, it would generally be made out of 38mm thick board and used for internal doors

    a door frame has the stop moulded in and has drip grooves to help reduce water penetration. it would generally be moulded out of a 3x2 or 4x2 and used for external doors

    door frames are not unknown on internal doors they dont however need the drip grooves
  4. John Darwin

    John Darwin New Member

    Hi Welsh - just a word of warning if these are for your fire doors as discussed on your fire doors post make sure you use the appropriate Fire Check casings.
  5. Welshmally

    Welshmally New Member

    Thank you all. As it's for the en suite, I believe the regs state that a fire door is not neessary.

  6. stevie.c

    stevie.c New Member

    or a door casing.which is the same as a lining but the timber is rebated instead of loose timber stops.

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice