Door Frames

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by egon, Dec 21, 2003.

1. egon

egon New Member

Hi all,Thank you for the responses to my first post (Fixing Skirting)I feel quite confident about getting on with the job, before I do would you give me your opinions on whether I should attempt to rip out and renew 2 int`door frames myself or get a chippy in to do it,it seems to me to be a lot more tricky a job than it looks.She who WILL be obeyed wants the skirting and door frames to have natural wood look thats why its all got to come out.
    By the way the name Tag is Egon not Egg on, this is what my kids know me as because the wife is always asking them "wheres `egon`".
    Incase I can`t get on again before, I wish you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy and Prosperous New Year

2. bilco

bilco New Member

Where's egon :)
    Nice one
    I would strip the door frames if they are in good nick and stick new facings/architrave round

3. kesh

kesh New Member

yes, bilcos solution is probably the easiest. Once the architrave & stops are off I would sand the paint off the lining - wear a suitable dust mask!!.

4. dunc

dunc New Member

Victorian houses usually have a frame and door lining. The frame is made of 4*2 sawn which is part of the wall, so be careful if you are removing the frame. The lining is nailed or screwed to the frame and the door is hinged to the lining. This is easily replaced. You can buy ready cut kits from most suppliers. You also need door stops, approx 1*1/2 inch timber for the door to close against.

Fit the architrave on the door and then fit the skirting to the architrave.

5. dewaltdisney

dewaltdisney New Member

Hi Egon,

I was only having a laugh with your tag, no offence meant.
    Picking up on the point about stripping the paint if it is an older property be careful of lead paint that might still be present. Try to minimise the dust if there are kids around and don't forget to cover fish tanks,pet food etc.

DWD

6. egon

egon New Member

no offence taken Dewaltdisney just thought you might be amused to know what my kids call me and how they came up with the name.Thanks very much to all of you for your help, for me this Forum is a Godsend, keep up the good work lads (and Lasses).

7. nigel

nigel Guest

To clean up the door lining I punch any nail heads in and use a power plane, its much quicker than sanding and only leaves a small section to be finished with a sander or wide bladed chisel.