Door Hanging Tools ?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Hard life, Nov 3, 2006.

1. Hard life

Hard life New Member

All,
    Looking at fitting a couple of new internal doors shortly.
    Looking through toolstations catalogue I notice they sell a "Butt Marker - that marks and cuts sharp clean profiles in doors and jambs for accurate hinge insallation, depth scriber marks correct depth for mortice."

Anyone use these or recommend them? They also sell a hinge screw punch. Are these worthwhile tools or should I just stick to a good old hammer and chissel and pencil....?

How much would it cost to have someone hang the doors (4 of)?

Cheers all....Gary

2. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

make a door hook out of a piece of gash 4x2, buy a hinge sinking bit

forget the "butt marker

3. foxy

foxy New Member

The butt marker is a piece of rubbish. (yes, I bought one :(). 22mm MAD bit is great for internal latches.

4. urham joiner

urham joiner New Member

Bought a butt marker, used it once, then went back to chisels. I keep it as a reminder not to buy gimmicky rubbish!

5. Nutty Oak

Nutty Oak Member

I find a door lifter really useful as well. It's like having a third hand!

6. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

door lifters are a waste of money, even the good german ones at £30-£35

walk the door into the opening at the bottom

im not giving it all away, so work the rest out for yourself

7. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

ps it works for all doors however heavy they are, even for 75mm thick 100kg front doors

8. bonnie the botch

bonnie the botch New Member

Hi DD, whats a hinge sinking bit? seen the butt markers( alright hands up fair cop guv i,ll come quite like) ive got a pair which balast the van very nicely , but ive not seen a sinker . usually use a router and jig if more than one to do myself.

9. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

bonnie, routers for hinge pockets are a given

loose talk but i mean hinge drills (look up "hinge drills" on this site) they centre the drill in the counter sink on the hinge

10. Hard life

Hard life New Member

I'll spend my money on a hinge drill rather than the butt marker then... Thought it sounded a bit of a faffy piece of kit.

I'll stick to my chisels, scribe and make a wedge from a piece of old 4 by 2.

Not got a router as I don't do that much wood work so can't justify getting one.

Thanks for all your advice, I've also checked the archives and picked up some other hints and tips so should be fully prepared for fitting.

11. bonnie the botch

bonnie the botch New Member

yes i see them but still dont get it , are they purly for locating the hole or for some other purpose?

12. flyingscotsman

flyingscotsman New Member

yes, they fit into the countersink in the hinge.

13. mikejoiner

mikejoiner Member

i have a trend hinge jig and router for the hinges and i have a porter cable 513 lock mortiser and porter cable 517 faceplate template and router to finish off.costs a fortune but you dont get better !! read it and weep butt markers !!

14. mikejoiner

mikejoiner Member

HE WHO DIES WITH THE MOST TOOLS WINS !!

15. yorkshireboy

yorkshireboy Member

I have a mallet and 1" chisel,useful for chopping in hinges in less time than it takes to set up a router....:)

16. mikejoiner

mikejoiner Member

mallet and chisels are o.k. for one off`s but the houses i do have 28 doors each so when i`m set up i go so fast i nearly set myself on fire !

17. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

i think you need to carry a fire extinguisher with you ;)

18. holtya1

holtya1 New Member

with furniture about £18 each these tools you speak of are a waste of money

19. whiteway

whiteway New Member

Is ther no one out there using a butt gauge? Not a hinge marker, but a butt gauge made by stanley. Got to be the best bit of kit when fitting doors.

20. ­

­ New Member

> I have a mallet and 1" chisel,useful for chopping in
    hinges in less time than it takes to set up a
    router....:)

Ah but if you've got a dedicated router just for hinge sinking then there is no set up time.

We use the Trend Hinge jigs and Lock Jigs and dedicated routers. We can have a door on its hinges in maybe 3 or 4 minutes. The other thing is that it's a perfect fit.

The router method really pays off when there's a knot in the door or frame. How many times have you struggled with a granite hard knot with your 1" chisel? The router just zips through it.