door hinges

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by fatfires, Feb 3, 2008.

1. fatfires

fatfires New Member

Hi
    I know I am probably being over fussey, but I would like to know when fitting a door hinge, is there a correct way round to fit the hinge? i.e normal 100mm hinge one half has 2 pieces round the pin the other 3 which goes on door, which goes on frame?

2. devonkitchens

devonkitchens Member

The side where the top and bottom part of the hinge that wraps round the pin goes on the frame.
    Hope that makes sense.

3. fatfires

fatfires New Member

Yes many thanks for your help, having my late father lining up the slots on screws has probably made me a little paranoid

4. gint

gint Member

i've always done it the other way. ie :- the full of the hinge on the door. but it dosnt really matter as long as they are all the same way

5. fatfires

fatfires New Member

didn't I just know this would happen!!
    I have checked my existing hinges and they are exactly 50/50 looking on sites, those where a difference could be seen were 50/50 too, perhaps it doesn't realy matter but as it is an old house I would like to be 'traditionaly correct'
    call me pickey but........

6. Vinnie187

Vinnie187 New Member

The three piece should be in the frame two piece on the door.
    This is because the frame has to take the weight of the door so therefore the bottom piece should be on the frame.

7. fatfires

fatfires New Member

thanks for your input and not questioning it, but looking at it as an engineer the weight is taken on the shear of the pin and either way there are 2 friction/ bearing surfaces (where the washers on a 'quallity hinge' are. in this case as both ends of the pin are riveted over there could be 1 extra bearing surface there, I don't believe there are any mechanical advantages either way. I would like to know which 'Traditionaly' is correct and a reason (could be the look or habit or 'just the way it should be'!!)

8. chip off the block

chip off the block New Member

as for lining as the screw slots up i always do it as it looks better with all the slots vertical. Hope you bought good hinges if you are worring about things like this

9. fatfires

fatfires New Member

Yep, the best I could find as the house is old and the doors short, wide and heavy!
    I just like things right and don't think that is a fault, if it 'aint right it's wrong!

10. Vinnie187

Vinnie187 New Member

The way i know is three piece on the frame, but i think lots of people have different views on this so you wont get a general answer the same.

As for mechanically three piece on the frame is absolutely the correct way of making sure there is no problems in the future.

11. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

I'm an engineer, not a chippie, but I was always taught that it is 3 knuckles on the frame & 2 on the door. My uncle was a time served chippie & did shop fitting for M&S. He always lined up screw slots vertically. Now everyone uses Pozi, so WTF? It's all about time. Now, everyone uses cordless drivers...Anyone still got a "Yankee"?

12. chip off the block

some of the good quality brass inges have slotted screws which i alway line up and almost all hanles with screws showing have slotted so they get lined up aswell

13. fatfires

fatfires New Member

No pozi's used here, slotted only, I may have old fashioned thinking but pozi just does not look right or authentic in an old house and they certainly arnt right in cast iron hinges. The countersinking ribbs dont help them to fit flush either, and yes I do still have yankees a 12" and 24" and still use them (I use cordless as well!)
    I believe that there is nothing wrong with being a traditionalist especially if speed isnt an issue.
    and no I dont still use lead based paint, putty or the like, but if I am replacing old oak I use good old oak etc

14. fatfires

fatfires New Member

you and me both ...it is those little touches that make a job (and identify professionalism!)

15. malkie129

Hi Blokes...As I said, I'm not a chippie, but I do appreciate your professionalism. I've seen cowboys using a hacksaw..if they had been my apprentices, I would have kicked their arses out of the door. It's good to know that there are still tradesmen about...but for how long? :(

16. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

attention to detail is the sign of good tradesman

the greatest number of hinge leaves goes on the frame

slotted screws should always line up vertically

because they are so simple to do anything else looks shoddy

if you use pozi drive screws line them up, it shows attention to detail and if you are in the habit it doesnt take any more time

17. ­

­ New Member

So fixing brass hinges with galvanised clouts is not good then?

18. chip off the block

no the metals react so you need copper nails

19. kaintheo

kaintheo New Member

As already said,

the strongest part of the hinge (I.E the part with the most knuckles) should go on the frame/lining.

I was always taught that you are hanging the door to the lining and not the lining to the door.

20. malkie129

So fixing brass hinges with galvanised clouts is not
    good then?

You're 'avin' a garden track ain't ya? I would use stainless nails. That would really make a good fizz.;)