door hinges

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by fatfires, Feb 3, 2008.

1. fatfires

fatfires New Member

Well there you go, decided not to use the nails, clout or otherwise as I could only find a lump hammer and it wouldn't countersink them enough, but thanks guys, 2 doors re-hung perfectly everything in line and they dont groan when closing now, concidering they were the bedroom and the loo getting up for a jimmy was a bit of a noisy afair!
    Apreciate your help

2. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

You make as much noise as you want Mate...After all, it is your bog. :^O

3. grampabill

grampabill New Member

My thoughts are with you on this one! To continue on the 'door hinges' theme. I am having three new hardwood doors fitted at the end of the week and the tradesman doing the job has asked me to buy the hinges that would suit the decor of our newly decorated room. On going to look at hinges I find that I am confused by the sizes available so perhaps some of you could give me a few pointers as to what size of hinge I need.
    The doors are hardwood and pretty heavy also they are only one and 3/8 inches thick. Can anyone help please??

4. fatfires

fatfires New Member

as I have received so shall I give, if you are looking for normal rebated hinges I would certainly go for a pair and a half (3)100mm x as thick as you like per door, washered on the joints in a finish to match your door furniture if metal. if not then it is to your taste, if your doors are oak avoid ordinary steel

5. kaintheo

kaintheo New Member

Always a pair and a half on all doors now and if the doors heavy or going to get a lot of use (commercial premises) then the top 2 hinges should be in the top third of the door.

6. oggie

oggie New Member

Ive still got mine i keep it for the screws round the lavey pan as cordless and china dont like each other (^_*) know what i mean mate

7. grampabill

grampabill New Member

as I have received so shall I give, if you are
    looking for normal rebated hinges I would certainly
    go for a pair and a half (3)100mm x as thick as you
    like per door, washered on the joints in a finish to
    match your door furniture if metal. if not then it is
    to your taste, if your doors are oak avoid ordinary
    steel

The doors are Brazilian oak. Would solid stainless steel be OK?

8. fatfires

fatfires New Member

never come across brazilian oak, most of the timber from that neck of the world is from the mahogany familly, I would imagine stainless should be fine....unless any experts on here......
    I do know that ordinary steel and oak dont match , you get black staining I believe from the tannic acid in the wood (its also where the tannin comes from in red wine)

9. lamello

lamello New Member

if these are internals as they seem to be being 35mm thick then they should only be hung with two 3" hinges. No domestic internal door of a standard width is too heavy for two quality washered hinges. Domestic internals with the exception of fire doors should have three hinges and no domestic internal with the exception of fire doors should have 4" hinges. Three hinges on internals looks and is wrong and 4" hinges on internals looks and is wrong.

10. chip off the block

chip off the block New Member

a 3" washered hinge will take around 35kg and a ball bearing hinge will take around 50kg this depends on individual spec. Most 35mm internals are under the 35kg and those that are not are prbably under 50kg so 1 pair of 3" is always enough