Door lock advice please

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by busy builder, Dec 4, 2009.

1. busy builder

busy builder New Member

Hi, I have to put a BSI insurance type lock on a door but with a thumb turn inside. I've looked around but cannot find one, although I can find a Euro lock with thumb turn but not BSI insurance rated.

Can I use the Euro lock instead or does it have to be a 5 lever mortice type sash lock ? thanks

2. Doink

Doink New Member

BS3621 insurance approved locks come in the form of a five lever dead lock, which you will typically fit to your front door, along with a night latch (Yale lock), and as a five lever sash lock, i'd of thought euro type mortice locks weren't BS approved purely for the fact they're not 5 lever.....

But having said that i have seen BS8621 insurance approved euro type 'DEADLOCKS' with thumb turn but no sashlocks which seems strange

3. chip off the block

chip off the block New Member

dunno what BS they are but i fit alot of assa fire escape locks on schools

4. joinerjohn

joinerjohn New Member

Sadly they don't keep the pupils in, ehhh

5. They do when the thumb turn is on the outside

6. flippin heck

flippin heck New Member

Hi,
    In recent years the euro cylinder has seen many improvements, with anti bump features, snap resistant core, hardened steel and six pins. But despite this, the design of the Euro and oval cylinders lock case requires only one lever to be raised to throw the bolt, so they are in fact just a very simple ‘one lever’ mortice lock.
    Marston Wellington do make a 6 lever mortice lock with an internal thumb-turn, which makes it suitable for use with firecheck entrance doors, they are not BS rated, but I think its about the closest thing you are likely to get.