Door locking issues

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by JossT, Dec 20, 2019.

1. JossT

JossT New Member

Hello,

As usual with some other threads, apologies if this is in the wrong forum.

I've just came home and my wife has been having issues with the front door euro barrel lock. It wasn't locking as normal, just spinning. So en route home I bought a new barrel lock assuming this would be the issue, however it appears it isn't and now I am confused.

With the new barrel lock in place, with the door open, I can lock + engage the multilock points on the door fine and it is "locked", but can't remove the key. I can adjust it to get the key out, but when I then lift the handle all the way up again, it disengages the lock and I can open it again? I ain't an expert on locks whatsoever so I would always have been easily stumped but not sure how with a brand new barrel lock, I can't disengage the key.

My wife has a habit of forcefully checking to see if the doors locked, I wonder if this has caused any issues?

Thanks!

Joss

2. xednim

xednim Screwfix Select

some pictures will be helpful in here

3. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Sounds like it's a lock problem. Side by side dose it match the old one

4. blarblarblarblar

blarblarblarblar Active Member

If you can’t remove the key, it’s not fully locked. Is the key 100% vertical when you are trying to remove it.

5. JossT

JossT New Member

Thanks all so far. Still no success, I'll post photos in a minute. It just seems like the barrel keeps spinning and not engaging.

The key when I have it In the locked position appears to be 180 degrees out

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
  6. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Has the door dropped?, if the multi point locking can't fully engage then you won't be able to get the key out as it won't be in the locked position-just seems to point to that if it locks ok out of the frame so to speak.
    You could try easing the door up whilst locking it, this may be enough to allow the locks to fully engage.

7. xednim

xednim Screwfix Select

he said "With the new barrel lock in place, with the door open, I can lock + engage the multilock points on the door fine and it is "locked", but can't remove the key." if I do understand doesn't work on the open door what eliminates drop on the hinges
    I will say lock itself- nothing to do with the barrel

Rulland likes this.
  8. JossT

JossT New Member

Hi Rulland.

Thanks for the reply. I've looked at the door and it's not dropped at all. I just tried lifting it around but no joy there

Whilst I can lock it and it engages fine, I don't understand why when I lift the handle up, that the lock disengages?

It seems like I'm missing something

9. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

My bad, I missed the bit about still not being to remove the key, it sounds like the the little lever on the barrel is not quite locating correctly, possibly, this would prevent key withdrawal.

10. xednim

xednim Screwfix Select

you need to open the lock, possibly other lever has over passed its original location, easy to do but possibly to late for this kind of work today

11. JossT

JossT New Member

I've got a video here which shows that one of the engaging multipoint locks is a bit loose and wobbly, not sure if this might be enough. Trying my best to upload this.

Thanks guys.

12. blarblarblarblar

blarblarblarblar Active Member

No. He thinks he can FULLY engage the locking mechanism, but it’s not fully located, which is why the key won’t come out.

I’m gonna bet the Euro cylinders are fine, and the heavy handed good lady has caused some internal damage.

13. JossT

JossT New Member

14. JossT

JossT New Member

The video is with the old euro cylinder in place.

15. xednim

xednim Screwfix Select

16. JossT

JossT New Member

Looks like its a locksmith job! Bugger!