Door painting advice

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Offshore, Mar 30, 2022.

1. Offshore

Offshore Active Member

Morning all.

Having more or less entirely "done up" our current (16 year old) house I am now faced with a job I have been putting off for months, namely painting all the internal doors. They are fairly typical four panel, mdf doors with a wood grain facing and currently painted with white gloss - the type of doors you see in just about every new build house within the last 20 years or so. The paintwork is in decent enough condition but just needs freshened up as it looks a bit dull against the new, freshly painted architraves and skirting. My plan is to remove each one and take it outside, sand it and then paint it, probably a light grey colour. I will probably go for a satin finish rather than gloss as that will match the skirtings and architraves that have already been done as we decorated the rest of the house. I have 12 doors in total and the job fills me with dread to be honest. I have considered getting someone in to do it but my wife has some ongoing health issues and having someone working in the house is not ideal in the foreseeable future so looks like it will be DIY. Any advice on the most efficient way to tackle it? Sand them all first, then paint them all together or tackle each one to completion and then move on to the next? Is it worth leaving them in situ rather than taking them outside? I originally thought it might be possible to spray them, hence the reason for doing it outside but might reconsider.
    Thanks for any advice.

2. goldwise

goldwise Active Member

I have 13 similar doors that were gloss finish. Never stayed white for long enough. Used Dulux Trade Satinwood (available at screwfix). Did mine in situ. Gave them a good sanding down with an electric sander first. 2 coats of Satinwood worked fine. 3 years later and still look white and fresh. As you're changing colour you should get even better result. Did 3 of mine a medium grey 5 years ago and still going strong. So much better than gloss.

Some companies may take your doors away and return them when done... at a price.

3. Offshore

Offshore Active Member

Thanks, Goldwise. I'll have a look at the Dulux satinwood range. I think I will end up sanding them outside and then rehang them and paint them in situ. I had an idea about creating a tented area at the side of my house and spraying them in there a couple at a time, but I have no idea how this would work, if indeed it would work at all. It's the thought of painting 13 doors twice that just depresses me but they really do look quite grubby next to the freshly painted architraves.
    Interesting idea about sending them away somewhere. I can imagine it will be pricey, but I really, really do hate painting woodwork.
    Cheers.