Doors Swinging Open

Discussion in 'Getting Started FAQ' started by A.nonymous, Dec 1, 2020.

Tags:
  1. A.nonymous

A.nonymous New Member

I got a few internal doors hung recently through a guy who was recommended to me. Most of the work was done pretty well but 2 of the doors swing open by themselves. When this was brought up by me it was made out by this guy that he’d never come across this problem before. I’m thinking surely any carpenter must have come across this before and if competent would know how to fix?

Keen to hear thoughts on this.

2. AnotherTopJob

AnotherTopJob Screwfix Select

It sounds like it's not latching securely. Either the latch itself is faulty or the gap is too wide and it's not engaging properly.

Edit: do you mean it opens by itself once unlatched rather than stay half open?

3. A.nonymous

A.nonymous New Member

One of them, when I open the door as far as it will go and then let it go, swings slowly back towards being closed. The other one swings open slowly if I open the door and let it go.

4. AnotherTopJob

Presumably the hinges were replaced, and have a lot less resistance than the old ones.
    It may be possible to knock out the hinge pins one at a time, bend them slightly and refit to add some friction.

A.nonymous likes this.
  5. Okoak

Okoak Active Member

This sometimes happens when you fit new doors in old frames, you will probably find that the frame/lining is a bit out of upright and this is often made worse by the use of new hinges (as mentioned above) that move freely . I like to use stainless bearing hinges and I have got a couple of doors in my own house that tend to close on their own whereas the old doors with old hinges didn't.
    If it bothers you it's possible to move the hinges in or out as required, but it will inevitably mean than the door may not then sit flush with the frame everywhere when it's closed, and the door stops will need to be moved and refitted to suit the door position, and the frame then subsequently re decorated.

A.nonymous likes this.
  6. A.nonymous

A.nonymous New Member

Yep hinges were replaced too. I’ve seen that method that you mention so might give that a try. Is there any reason why I wouldn’t be able to knock out the hinge pin, should the pin come out of any hinge?

7. AnotherTopJob

Normally the pins are removable on interior door hinges, as security is not an issue.

A.nonymous likes this.
  8. Cian Woods

Cian Woods New Member

Just renovated a 1970's house this year and moved in a few weeks ago. We got all new doors and frames too. Every single door used swing open and hit off the wall.

I did the hinge pin trick and they're all now fixed. It's because the walls aren't plum. Think of the line of hinges being a pole that is slightly slanted. The door will be swinging because of this slanted pole.

The hinge may have caps on either end. Take off the top one first. I used a screw and a hammer and pushed down the pin and knock off the bottom cap. They can be tight and it takes a good few smacks. I also kind of marked the doors but a lick of paint will fix it. Good luck!

A.nonymous likes this.
  9. A.nonymous

A.nonymous New Member

Thanks all. Really helpful advice

10. smarate

smarate New Member

Wow, really easy fix...