Doors

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by mrppp, Mar 11, 2018.

1. mrppp

mrppp Member

Are the oak veneer doors sold at Wickes the same as those sold at Howdens? Look the same only cheaper at Wickes.

2. chippie244

chippie244 Well-Known Member

I can't say for definite but there are some manufacturers ie Premdoor who sell the same product to lots of retailers.

3. mrppp

mrppp Member

Only thing i noticed is on Wickes it says "These doors are not suitable for treatment with any type of oil, wax or polish" But I know previous Howdens doors i have always used danish oil no problem on.

4. fillyboy

fillyboy Well-Known Member

It said no oil on some howdens doors I fitted last week. I've fitted howdens and wickes recently and could see no difference. I had to haggle quite hard to get a reasonable price from howdens, wickes had a buy one get one free offer, but for some strange reason that didn't apply to the glazed doors (I needed 5 plain and 5 glazed) so they worked out similar price, I went with howdens because I can rely on them to deliver without damaging them.

5. mrppp

mrppp Member

6. fillyboy

Interesting, on that howdens link it says ok to finish with osmo oil, but it definitely said no oil on the instructions. Also, howdens, maximum trim per side 5mm,
    wickes maximum trim 20mm.

7. fillyboy

If you don't need the glazed version, I'd go for the wickes ones, far cheaper. Where I fitted the wickes ones the owners did oil them with no problems appearing.

8. Jord86

Jord86 Well-Known Member

The small differences between them is usually the shade of oak being slightly different, and different thickness lippings edged around the door. If your frames are poor I'd opt for the doors with the deepest lippings, as you'll need to plane lumps off to get the doors to fit.

9. AlvyChippy

AlvyChippy Active Member

10. sospan

sospan Well-Known Member

Veneered doors are one of my pet hates. Some have incredibly thin veneer and the slightest scratch or ding can ruin the door. Some doors aren't covered in a one piece of veneer and some times you have glue lines on the surface which only show once the door is finished.

If you are going to buy veneered doors try and buy the finish from the same supplier and preferably one they recommend - just in case you do have a problem, they can't say it was a product bought elsewhere.

11. Jord86

Jord86 Well-Known Member

My heart sinks when I'm asked to fit them to existing frames, time they can take is incredible, won't do them for less than £60 each now. Weigh a Damn tonne too, gotta be so careful in taking it up and down the stairs.

12. mrppp

mrppp Member

So other than solid oak what other alternative for a "decent" door?

13. sospan

sospan Well-Known Member

Can understand a little why they are made for interior use - but for front and back doors, no way. Kids, pets scratching the door, carrying things in and out.

14. mrppp

mrppp Member

The last I had from Howdens I oiled all of them without issue. So strange Wickes and Travis P doors say no oil

15. mrppp

mrppp Member

Oh yes, this is internal doors not for anything exterior, i would not even consider them for that

16. sospan

sospan Well-Known Member

What is the finish you want ? painted or wood

17. mrppp

mrppp Member

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
  18. fillyboy

I suspect the oil thing isn't an issue and the manufacturers are covering their ***** in respect of the oil causing delamination. Trouble is, if you use oil and the veneer does peel, no warranty. But that said, I've never heard of a problem in this respect.

19. goldenboy

goldenboy Well-Known Member

Just done 14 oak veneer doors. They just take time and lots of TLC when hanging and I adjust the price accordingly. For me the best finish is 2 coats of Ronseal Diamond Hard varnish. Put an extra coat on the inside of cloakrooms and bathrooms though.

20. fillyboy

Out of curiosity, how many would you expect to hang a day, I know the frames can vary and one door can take twice as long as the previous one.