dormer gutters

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by clueless jon, Apr 13, 2010.

1. clueless jon

clueless jon New Member

Hi ,
    can anyone tell me - are there any sort of rules or recomendations on when you should have guttering for the roof of a dormer window? on mine the dormer roof is about 1.5 to 2 m sq on each side with a metre drop to the lowest point where it meets the main roof, should i have a gutter for it?
    thanks a lot
    jon

2. lotsofleaks

lotsofleaks New Member

I dont think there are any regulations about gutters on dormers - however I am only a layman, I cannot say for certain.

I have had 3 dormer windows put on the front roof of my house, about 5 years ago. For the first 2/3 years we did not have any gutters on the dormers, but when it rained heavy, the gutters on the house could not take the extra water from the dormers, and we have deepflow gutters on the house. The water was just going straight over the top of the gutter, and also behind it down the fascia.

Eventually, we decided to put the guttering on the dormer sides, and it has substantially slowed down the flow of water, and the gutters can now handle the extra water.

If it were me, I would put guttering on - but it would depend on the size of the guttering on the house and whether it can take the extra water from the dormer. Hope that helps.

3. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

The theory is, that there is no extra water from dormers, as they equate to roughly the same roof area as if it was just roof.
    The 'extra' water is not 'more' water, but concentrated in an area because it has time to build up then run off quickly.
    Guttering exacerbates this, having ALL the water run out a downpipe exit shoe in ONE area only(or two if d/p both ends).
    So not really much benefit in either.
    Splashing is the worst result of not having dormer guttering.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really