Dot and dab

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Foxer7, Sep 13, 2019.

1. Foxer7

Foxer7 Member

hi guys if using the dot and dab method for plasterboarding old walls what's the process in the preperation a lot of the old plaster just fell off and have left the walls really dusty then other places there's old wallpaper backing paper does this need to be removed? Do the walls need some sort of bonding or coating ?

2. CGN

CGN Well-Known Member

Scrape/brush the brickwork down and wet the walls before dabbing.

3. dobbie

dobbie Well-Known Member

Do the job properly and get the walls either rendered and set or plastered and set, depending on the walls.
    Dot and Dab is the work of the devil, it should not be allowed anywhere near a decent property, that is why it is used in all the new builds to lash them up faster and offload them onto the unsuspecting public, who are unaware of the carp they are being sold.

PawelM, ramseyman and koolpc like this.
  4. Foxer7

Foxer7 Member

Must be a plasterer :D:p:D:p

gadget man and CGN like this.
  5. CGN

CGN Well-Known Member

Whilst I agree with dobbie in some ways, dot and dab done correctly is fine as long as everyone concerned realises it’s not the best, but is more than adequate.

Hfs likes this.
  6. jimoz

jimoz Active Member

Bet dobbie doesn't think the same about boards on ceilings!
    What's so bad with d&d done right? Most spreads struggle to get a good finish on boards nowadays God help them doing it traditionally

7. Foxer7

Foxer7 Member

I am a painter by trade and plastering is definitely gone down hill in a big wayo_O

8. koolpc

koolpc Well-Known Member

To me, D&D seems like a good way for people to 'hide' issues without meeting them head on.

I would much prefer to see the walls properly prepared and plastered.

9. Severntrent

Severntrent Active Member

So by the same token are we to dismiss timber framed partition walls and ask for solid brick so it can be properly plastered??

gadget man likes this.
  10. koolpc

koolpc Well-Known Member

Totally different scenario

11. dobbie

dobbie Well-Known Member

I think that a lot of them paint the finish on it is that thin.

Not too many years ago, before cotton scrim came out and now it is self adhesive scrim, the plasterers used Jute scrim.

The Jute scrim was a lot thicker than the subsequent scrims and was put on with plaster, another coat of thick plaster to cover the scrim and final coat, at least back then you had a decent thickness of finish on boarded walls and ceilings, not the f_ag paper thickness left a lot of the time nowadays, sometimes the thin scrim even sticking through.

gadget man likes this.
  12. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Well-Known Member

That's harsh. It's not easy doing it one handed. They have to hold their wallets in their other hand because they're too fat to go in their pockets...

13. Foxer7

Foxer7 Member

Most of the house and extension I have are timber frame I only have the front face of house and a couple of walls here and there to dot and dab with the 50mm foam backing