Double glazing shoddy work advice please

Discussion in 'Getting Started FAQ' started by Stephanie Hammond, Sep 4, 2021.

1. Stephanie Hammond

Stephanie Hammond New Member

I've had some double glazing fitted and would appreciate some advice as to the quality of the workmanship please. The house is a rental so I wasn't there when the work was carried out.
    The work entailed replacing all windows, the front door, removing and bricking up the back door and replacing a dining window with a door.
    My concerns are:
    1) The door has been removed and bricks used to fill the void, single skin, and it's been left like that - see photo
    2) Plaster under one window has crumbled and brick work is falling away - is this down to me to repair?
    3) The trim around one window has been poorly fitted and has gaps - see photo
    4) There is a drop of around 3 ft from the door fitted to the ground and they didn't put the steps in they said they would. The company have said 'it is not on the contract' which it isn't when I've checked but I had a conversation with the owner who agreed they would be put in. An error here on my part I suppose but what reasonable company installs a door to a garden and expects somebody to jump three feet into the garden?!
    5) When removing the window to put in the door they've disconnected a plug socket so have left the trailing cable in a carrier bag on the floor, still connected. The same has been done in the kitchen by the back door.
    6) They've left an upstand in the kitchen disconnected from the kitchen wall.
    7) There is a gap between the floor and door where the window has been removed and the door out in.

Due to covid, I didn't attend the property at the same time as the double glazing company when they went to quote for the work as the tenant was pregnant and didn't want me there. The double glazing firm sent through the contract detailing the replacement doors and windows without any mention of the electrics that needed moving or the fact they wouldn't be filling in the void in the door that's been removed.

Any advice on the above would be gratefully appreciated. Screenshot_20210904-212710_Photos.jpg Screenshot_20210904-212657_Photos.jpg Screenshot_20210904-212650_Photos.jpg Screenshot_20210904-212631_Photos.jpg Screenshot_20210904-212620_Photos.jpg Screenshot_20210904-212540_Photos.jpg

2. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

All down to what was in the contract tbh. Clearly more work to be done but if it wasn’t in the window fitters scope then it’s down to you to sort out. Not surprising for window fitters to leave a mess like that when they can as they really have no skill for brickwork plastering or electrics

Stephanie Hammond likes this.
  3. mitefix

mitefix Active Member

Echo above: There is more work to be done.

But the window fitter wouldn't be doing it

They have replace the windows and there is some making up to be done But that's where it ends for the window fitters I am afraid.

Stephanie Hammond likes this.
  4. Stephanie Hammond

Many thanks for your reply.

5. Stephanie Hammond

Thank you for your reply.

6. charles McCormick

charles McCormick New Member

..Obviously you were conned as true FENESTRATION workers esp the more trained,so get factys about who you were unlucky benough to meet....
    NOT TRUE about ALL window fitters/?Like most construction trades Always the BAD 1s,,,history,window fitters/fixers is actually called curtain wall/fenestration was/is my skill set/i was taught so many different skills to achieve my Fenestration ticket.we have more skill and traininig than MOST Construction people ,the pictures you have puy up is clearly a mess.....you are so wrong about window fitters/...the TRADE name you should have researched=i was almost 6 years to achieve the skills i neeeded in Fenestration .which all GLASS trades started this country with the old glaziers who were mostly very skilled and they were shown how to start learning new SYSTEM of building a glass structures that were strong ,water tight . ,i am going to stop as that comment is so UNFAIR,i we taught to build and make with lots of materials,glass/steel/wood etc and i hope you get the people WHO DONE THIS.....take care and theses are conmen NOT real workers,they can get plastic cards nowadays and people fall for that.

7. AnotherTopJob

AnotherTopJob Screwfix Select

Hard to understand the post. Are you saying a window fitter should also be a competent bricklayer and plasterer etc, and put right any hidden issues that only come to light after the window has been removed?

The window fitters have done their job, although you could argue not to a particularly good standard.

If during the quote it was noticed there was crumbling brickwork etc, then this extra work should have been added to the contract.

mitefix likes this.
  8. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

reminds me of a Boris Johnson speach…

mitefix and Abrickie like this.
  9. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

You mean to say meaningless gibberish ?

jonathanc likes this.
  10. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

Yep

Abrickie likes this.
  11. mitefix

mitefix Active Member

That plastic as a lot to answer to is taken all skill away.

12. woodbutcherbower

woodbutcherbower Screwfix Select

Read through that a few times trying to find an actual point. But no …..