Double Glazing thickness

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by InQuote, Jan 10, 2019.

1. InQuote

InQuote New Member

Hi,

I have brought my first property, which is a flat within a new apartment complex. I have had a number of issues to do with building quality issues, and the construction company who build the building has gone under, its a bit of a nightmare.

My latest issue, I wanted to find out about, the flat has 4mm floor to ceiling double glazing and is 6 stories up. One of the windows had condensation on the inside of the glass, meaning it needs replacing. The managing agent came and had a look and feels confident it should be replaced, but mentioned it should be 6mm glazing instead, due to the wind warping the glass. I have noticed the glass curving slightly when there is high winds, and right by the sea, this can happen often.

They are looking into replacing the glass pane, but advised they would replace it with 6mm and not 4mm as currently installed. This isn't a problem, but for me it raises the question, the choice of going for 6mm glass, is that just "advice/ should" or is there a building regulation, or any guide lines for a building to have a certain thickness of glass over a certain height?

The building was finished in September 2017, but the suppliers of the window claim that there is no warranty with the window because the construction company went bust, so I still have to overcome this hurdle next.

Many thanks

2. AlvyChippy

AlvyChippy Active Member

2mm will be taken out of a spacer bar- nothing to worry about

3. InQuote

InQuote New Member

Not sure what you mean by taken out, it needs to be added it!

4. AlvyChippy

AlvyChippy Active Member

6mm external glass + 12-18mm spacer bar + 4mm internal
    instead of 4mm ext glass+ 14-20mm spacer bar + 4mm int glass

5. InQuote

InQuote New Member

I get you now.

My question is, they are only replacing the one window with the "correct" way, should the other be changed in the same way or is this just best practice?

6. AlvyChippy

AlvyChippy Active Member

Without seeing it, measuring etc- I can not possibly even try to advise on such, as there are different specs/regulations in every single window fitting scenario

7. SidDIYer

SidDIYer Member

Both panes of glass are held together with the spacer in what is called a sealed unit that is about 28mm thick. So out will come the 2 x 4mm glass with spacer sealed unit. In will go a new sealed unit with 6mm and 4mm glass and a spacer that makes the overall thickness 28mm again.

8. InQuote

InQuote New Member

I’m not too worried about that, that is for them to deal with, I get that it is possible.

What would you need to know to point me in the right direction of regs for window thickness, if such a thing exists

9. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

If its floor to ceiling glass, it must be safety glass in the 1st instance.