double glazing

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by RMH, Nov 17, 2006.

  1. RMH

    RMH New Member

    when a sealed unit is made whats in the cavity? is it just trapped air or do they replace it with some gas or something?
    hope this isnt a daft question!
  2. hallbeck

    hallbeck New Member

    Depends on the unit - normally its just air but you can specify gases like argon which give a better insulation value
  3. tph1

    tph1 Member

    i always thought it was a vacuum !! - just looked it up and hallbeck is right. Mostly air but sometimes they use argon or krypton for better thermal & acoustic properties
  4. Mr. Handyandy

    Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

    You are all correct.

    Air, argon and sometimes other gases, OR vacuum.......

    Vacuum double glazing (Evacuated windows)
    Working much in the same way as a Thermos flask, the "fill" strategy with the lowest conductance is the use of vacuum between low-e coatings. Only a very small distance between the glass panes is necessary, but the long-term integrity of seals and the structural stability of the unit (due to pressure differences) are difficult to master in a cost-effective manner.

    Mr HandyAndy - Really
  5. RMH

    RMH New Member

    Mr H. you are a mind of information

    Thanks guys for your answers.
  6. sinewave

    sinewave Screwfix Select

    A Mine of information even! ;)
  7. hallbeck

    hallbeck New Member

    Its not a complete vacuum - otherwise the 2 panes of glass would be sucked togther!

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice