Double Socket Bang

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Kaz69, Oct 27, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Kaz69

Kaz69 Member

So last night we had the in-laws stay over :( and when they went to bed we heard a bang and power upstairs went out, flip the trip switch so all back on but the dad said he connected our lamp up and the socket blew (I think he may of had his charger in the other one too). so went to look at the socket and the switch looks burnt and neither of the sockets are working ( there is another socket in the room that works fine), I haven't had a chance to look at it as late last night and now at work but wanted to get an idea what I should look out for before I start turning power off and taking the socket off.

We have been in the house for about 4 months now so I may not know where all the wiring goes and I'm not sure if i ever tested that socket before as its the spare bedroom. I have had the lamp on the other socket in the room so thought it wouldn't be the lamp. i have a socket tester and now wished I used it in ever room.

all help appreciated

2. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Just knock the power off, replace the socket and all should be well. Sounds like the socket is fried.

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  3. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Whatever you do, make sure power is OFF, and as you are unaware of what runs where, can you be certain which ring final it is on? Probably not, so I would initially suggest ALL circuits off and work with a torch.

Pictures of it as you take it off the wall with wires still connected, pictures of wires in terminals and then ones of the back might help comments

Deleted member 33931 and KIAB like this.
  4. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

chances are a conductor has shorted to a metal back box ...or....to each other ..which can happen over a few years.
    Might be ingress of moisture ?
    be good to see pics...
    RS

5. Kaz69

Kaz69 Member

Thanks Guys I'll try and get some pics tonight/tomorrow for uploading.

6. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

You never know what to expect, when you move into a house, Often the previous owner will go round swopping his nice chrome sockets for standard white ones.

A fixing screw out of place and pop goes the wiring...

7. Kaz69

Kaz69 Member

First of all sorry for the late reply to this email, things have just been mad.

So god some images of the Switch and it looks like who ever fixed the plate on used to much force and broke the backing to it which made a metal part to the switch move and touch a live wire to make it blow (from my guessing)

photos attached

Attached Files:

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  8. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Yes. The back and front of the socket have become separated.
    You need a new one

And - important

Because it is broken, there are all sorts of unprotected live bits of metal now in there.
    Whatever you do, turn the power OFF before you attempt to unscrew or remove the socket. It’s dangerous.

9. Kaz69

Kaz69 Member

Thanks Bazza,

I have a replacement one ready and def all ele will be turned off

10. Wow!

Fair chance it's been fractured for a while, and yer dad-in-law just happened to be the one whose insertion broke the camel's back.

Or something.

Do you get on with him ok...?

11. Kaz69

Kaz69 Member

It's so so relationship there lol I did think he broke it as usually any damage he causes he likes to fib that he didn't, but after seeing it I know he didnt