Double socket in a barn

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Drop, Feb 2, 2024.

  1. Drop

    Drop New Member

    I am to install a double socket in a barn to power a kettle.
    There is an old metal clad fuse box in the barn powering the existing electrics.
    Can I just take a 2.5mm T&E from the fuse box to my socket.
    Then fit a metal clad RCD docket on this cable to provide power for the kettle ?
    Is this adequate.
    Or do I need to fit an RCBO in the fuse box with which to take the supply from to the new socket.
    I doubt if I will be able to buy anything (RCBO) which will physically fit in this fuse box.
    So will the RCD socket suffice ?
    Michael worock likes this.
  2. adgjl

    adgjl Screwfix Select

    Not enough info. Is there stock in the barn too? (Horses, sheep, cattle etc)

    is there stock surrounding the barn?
  3. WH55

    WH55 Screwfix Select

    And what is the barn constructed with ? A big metal frame or timber ?

    EDIT - the CU is already in the barn ? Is that the source of the supply ?
  4. Drop

    Drop New Member

    Barn made of timber.
    No animals in barn
    Horses in stables across the yard.
    The old metal clad cu is already in the barn at the top of some stairs.
    240v blue 16a sockets in the barn
    Lighrs in the barn
    Just need one twin Rcd socket yo plug a kettle in !!!!!!!
  5. Drop

    Drop New Member

    Corner of barn being wallboard out for an area to plug a kettle in and make one cup of coffee.
    Requires one twin socket to plug a kettle in !!!!
  6. Wellwisher

    Wellwisher Well-Known Member

    Is the barn fed from a CU with RCD protection in the house. If so you don’t need or want another in the barn.
  7. Coloumb

    Coloumb Screwfix Select

    Have you done a risk assessment?
  8. Drop

    Drop New Member

    A risk assessment!!!!!
  9. Drop

    Drop New Member

    Nope...the old 1980's cu in not rcd protected.
  10. Drop

    Drop New Member

    A risk assessment for making a cup of tea or coffee???
    I suppose I could recommend welding gauntlets and goggles or a welding mask
    so as to lower the risk of getting a burn from the spoon when stirring the tea !
    WH55 likes this.
  11. Drop

    Drop New Member

    It's one socket, to plug in one kettle to make one cup of tea !!
    I'm not wiring a new Lidl building !
    Let's be reasonable !
  12. Drop

    Drop New Member

    I thought this forum was for help....not to ridicule and find as many obstacles as possible.
    We could go outside the barn and recommend re tarmacing the yard to lessen the risk of slips trips and falls when approaching the building !!!
    Or recommend the street lighting upgraded on approach to the farm.
    Please....I'm asking for help and advice let's not get it all out of context.
  13. Coloumb

    Coloumb Screwfix Select

    The problem is you can't just chuck in a new ctt without notification. If you could then you would need to surface mount the cable to a RCD socket or you will need to RCD at source. If you have a stable then presumably you have people with horses making tea then you have a lot of H and S issues too, because some one "might" use the socket for something else etc etc ect. Best thing to do is just get a spark in to sort this for you. Probably just fit a fcu and wire in the kettle direct to that.
  14. Drop

    Drop New Member

    Its a socket in an empty building for a kettle.
    I'm just retiring as a 5 year apprentice trained maintenance electrician of 50 years working from 15v ac to 6.6kv.
    Now an electrical control engineer.
    I have not got an encyclopaedic knowledge of the latest 19th edition.
    In my job I didn't need it, I referred to the reg book as and when
    . I maintained and electrically kept plc / SCADA controlled 415V machinery and packing equipment going safely for production purposes.
    I just thought instead of buying a copy of the regs and sifting through them I could get a straight forward answer on cable size, correct rcd outlet mounted appropriately by those of you who day by day practice this monotonous kind of work.
    Forget it !
  15. Roys

    Roys Screwfix Select

    Not many people got knowledge of the 19th edit as it ain’t out yet, unless I’ve missed something cos I am a retired maint spark as well :)
    WH55 likes this.
  16. Drop

    Drop New Member

    18th then ***.....pressed the 9 instead of the 8.
    Another one !
    Seems this forum is full of 'em
  17. Bazza-spark

    Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

    Mate, he isn't a spark and doesn't do it on a daily basis.

    The Regs would require the cable to be RCD protected if it isn't visible throughout it's run. Would you be able to mount an RCBO by the side of the existing fuse box in an enclosure?

    As it doesn't sound like it's domestic it is not notifiable as quoted above.

    If all else fails, do as you suggested.

    Good luck.
    sparky steve and Ind spark like this.
  18. billysloke

    billysloke Active Member

    You are going to love Wellwisher
    WH55 likes this.
  19. Drop

    Drop New Member

    Thank you..
    Thank you....
    Thank you...
    That last answer means the world to me !
    A good honest clear straight answer.
    The twin and earth will be visible but as you suggest. I'll probably go for an external RCBO.
    I didn't know the t + e had to be RCD protected, I thought having a twin RCD socket would suffice to protect the kettle and lead and anyone coming into contact with it.
    It's a small favour for the lasses at the yard so they can go and make a drink and have a sit down because they have nothing.
    I do hope those above read your reply and adjust their attitude.
    Thanks again !!
    sparky steve and Ind spark like this.
  20. Bazza-spark

    Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

    The 18th requires the cable to be RCD protected unless visible throughout its run. It's and extension on the requirement for sockets to be protected, but I think in your case I would do as I suggested and fit it in an external enclosure at the source to be sure it was good.

    I wasn't domestic, I too was industrial, and a little bit of common sense needs to come into play too as you will appreciate. In industry there are plenty of horror stories, I have worked in steelworks with kill zones, water treatment plants and on pharmaceutical sites.

    Personally I would crack on, but make sure you cover your butt insurance wise.

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice