Double socket spur

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Peter Westacott, Oct 15, 2021.

1. Peter Westacott

Peter Westacott New Member

I need to move our tumble dryer from an out house into the kitchen.
    Would it be ok to take a spur using 2.5mm cable from the back of a single socket on a ring main running a fridge freezer to a double socket to run a condensing tumble dry and microwave and would I need to add a switch fuse connector in line?

2. Fusebox Wales

Fusebox Wales Member

If you can test to confirm that the cables inside the single socket are definitely a ring, then yes you can take a spur off it, so long as there is not already a spur taken off it - rule of thumb = maximum x3 wires in a socket terminal.

If you're unsure whether or not it is actually a ring, then using a 13A switch fuse connector is a good idea.

https://www.fuseboxwales.net/

3. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

Why a switch fuse? A fuse alone would be adequate.

4. Peter Westacott

Hi thank for your response
    It’s definitely a ring main there is a spur there already running the microwave wave but I will remove that and re-run it in conduit to where the tumble dry is to be sited but I wasn’t sure if the 2.5mm cable would be suitable to run both the dryer and microwave.
    Thank you
    Peter W

5. robertpstubbs

robertpstubbs Screwfix Select

Are you saying you would have one spur to a double socket for the tumble dryer and microwave?

I don’t see a problem with that.

Although a tumble dryer can use power for a long time, the microwave doesn’t use quite as much and for shorter periods of time, and overall they shouldn’t exceed the limit of the double socket, or 2.5mm2 cable.

6. Peter Westacott

hi
    Yes I want to remove the existing spur and replace it with a new one to run the tumble dryer as well as the microwave the existing single ring main socket from which I want to replace the spur is running a fridge and the microwave on a spur from it. We are replacing the fridge with a fridge freezer.
    Thanks for your time