down-lighters

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by cammy, Feb 15, 2004.

1. cammy

cammy New Member

I am putting in downlighters into my new house and want to know if I need a transformer for each lv downlighter or what is best as I am not sure, please help.

2. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

Hello cammy,

You will need one transformer for each downlighter...you might also want to try typing in downlighters in the search engine.

sifi

3. The Trician

The Trician New Member

Greetings from the 'I hate downlighters' Trician!

Use one ****** per fitting and then if it fails you only lose one light and not the lot.

4. cammy

cammy New Member

just to add to this:

Am I right in saying that lv downlighters are better to use than mains.

Cammy.

5. RES

RES New Member

I am amazed anyone dared to post a topic titled 'downlighter'. It's about as popular as a bacon butty at a barmitzvah.

6. The Trician

The Trician New Member

Ho hum :) Boy! Have I started something!!

7. Damocles

Damocles New Member

Fun to rant a bit though. Sp whats wrong with more than one lamp per transformer? Every lamp in the house having a transformer with it is ecologically crazy!

8. RES

RES New Member

Trician

You with your downlighters, me with my earths.

Damocles
    You with black is white, and white is grey.

9. The Trician

The Trician New Member

Yeah, so is having between 4 to 6 or more 50w downlighters :) Save the Rainforests is what I say.

10. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

Not sure if this was directed at me,but using one ****** per fitting does what Trician says,also it is what most,if not all of us do.

11. The Trician

The Trician New Member

Yup, it makes sense to me that not all of your lights fail if a ****** goes ****-up.

12. MICC

MICC Member

Nothing wrong with downlighters, everyone wants them and to be honest when installed correctly they look the business.
    best to use single transformer as already stated but you should look at the new mains GU range, hard to tell apart and no tranformers, lamps are a little dearer however.

13. The Trician

The Trician New Member

Horses for courses mate. But personally I'm not that keen.

They make your room look too much like that 'Salon' programme - or should it be Gay-Lon? :)

14. Damocles

Damocles New Member

Yeah dahling! but with lots in a room, what do i care if one of the two transformers fails and I only have half the lights until i get it fixed? Ok, want short cable runs to lights to avoid voltage drop. Other reasons?