Down pipe size ?

Discussion in 'Getting Started FAQ' started by Arm44, Jun 18, 2020.

1. Arm44

Arm44 New Member

I wish to extend a 60mm dia guttering downpipe away from a soakaway.
    I cannot find 60mm OD downpipe.
    It's too much to replace all of the system.
    Is there a adaptor to 68mm / solution ?
    Thanks

2. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

3. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Take a look online at ‘Drainage Pipe Coupling’

Huge range of types and sizes available, basically a rubber sleeve that goes over both pipe ends and secured with 2 stainless steel (should be) jubilee clips

As made of soft but tough rubber, each size coupling will deal with a range of pipe sizes as will be stated

As you’ve only got a difference of 8mm, an equal coupling will do the job

They may be more bulky than a plastic type adaptor but just depends how important this aspect is and what else is available. Will do the job though for sure - it’s what they’re designed for

eBay, Amazon, or Drainage Superstore is a company I’ve used before

4. Arm44

Arm44 New Member

Ok thanks will do.

5. The rubber couplings look a bodge and are a bodge, if doing a job, do it properly with the proper materials, not a make do bodge with what looks like a radiator hose for cars, vans and lorrys.

Abrickie and sparky steve like this.
  6. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Cmon, get over such ‘bodges’, s hit happens, rubber couplings get used, they will do the job at hand without doubt and must be manufactured and sold by the millions

Is everyone a cowboy bodger that uses such an accessory ??

Same as every fast fit back box used, every sheet of plasterboard that’s ever dabbed to a wall and every sheet of chipboard flooring used that’s then covered with underlay and carpet and thus never seen again for the next 20 years :)

Several ways to do any job and often these various methods are all acceptable - just giving some options to consider and free choice

I’ve no idea if a solid adaptor exists that will join 60-68mm pipe ? Have you Deleted member 11267 ?

If such an item does exist, then excellent, the OP then has a choice of 2 methods to consider (maybe other solutions also available) ?

Ok, the coupler may not be the most handsome thing to look at but, is it on show and highly visible ? We just don’t know do we

At this stage it’s just guess work, it may not even bother the OP - he may be a fan and collector of rubber items :D

There may not be an alternative - I don’t know, I’m not going to do the leg work for the OP - perhaps you care to add some value to the post in the meantime ;)

7. He says he is going to a soakaway which should be a minimum of 5 metres from the building. Rainwater pipe will then be the wrong type of pipe to run anyway.