Downlight hole a HUGE 14cm.. Help!

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by uncle sam, Oct 30, 2013.

1. uncle sam

uncle sam Member

Hi all,

Am looking to replace some old incandescent downlights. There really big, the hole itself is 14cm in diameter. When looking for replacements they are all of course much smaller, and the conversion plates avaliable seem to only go up to 12.5cm.

Re plasterboarding the ceiling is something I want to avoid but it's looking like its my only choice.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks
    Matty

2. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

I remember doing something like this a while ago and I used the back-bowl of the original light and fitted the conversion plate inside it. It was a bit of a fiddle but looked quite nice once it was finished.

3. Sam, you either patch the hole to make it flush again (with a piece of p'board which you've pre-cut to the right size, including the hole for the new lamp - ask for instructions on how to do this if that's the route you're taking) or else cut a decorative disc out of MDF to fit over the hole and act as a further 'raised' feature (but the new lamps must be 'cool' type).

Or do what Sen says...

4. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

LEDLite conversion plates (give them a Google) cover holes up to 15cm