DPC around Lintel query

Discussion in 'Engineers' Talk' started by Fpix, Sep 21, 2023.

1. Fpix

Fpix New Member

Hi.
    I have a query regarding the DPC around the lintel.
    In my drawing there is no DPC marked.

I was wondering that moisture from below where the lintel is sitting on the foundation level would cause the steel to corrode and cause failure.

But then I thought even if there is plastic underneath what about the top of the lintel as it is still below the DPC of the overall wall.

Would it be better to have another plastic on top of the lintel?

Many thanks
    Faisal

Attached Files:

2. BuildingMad

BuildingMad Screwfix Select

If you refer to the reinforcement bars in the prestressed concrete lintel, it is normal to apply two coats of bitumen paint on the ends of the lintel in that position.

3. qwas123

qwas123 Screwfix Select

OP,
    Your drawing looks as tho it was done by a student.
    All you need to do is to detail for a typical groundwork pipe passing thro a concrete foundation.
    You need to wrap the pipe where it passes across the foundation trench - and then pour the concrete foundation around the wrapped pipe.
    In effect, the solid concrete foundation is the lintel.

Ask at a Builders suppliers for the wrap material for a, say, 110mm pipe passing thro a concrete wall.

4. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

OP: your detail is what will be required by Water companies if it's a public sewer

5. qwas123

qwas123 Screwfix Select

Poster #4,
    No it wont. You are wrong.

6. Fpix

Fpix New Member

Yes it's for Thames water for the sewer pipe.

There is no query about the sewer pipe or the foundation.

The issue is long term Damp Proofness of the lintel (i.e. the reinforcement steel inside) that is holding the wall above it.

Whereas the usual DPC in a brickwall is 150 cm above ground level in the diagram the lintel is sitting much further down and getting wet from both top and bottom
    Thanks

7. BuildingMad

BuildingMad Screwfix Select

Prestressed lintels with high density concrete have minute water absorption & are rated below ground as long as the ends are protected.

Your span is hardly critical anyway.

Thames Water build over charge is exorbitant considering they do next to nothing.

qwas123 likes this.