DPC / height of paving

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by CliveJones, Jan 31, 2022.

1. CliveJones

CliveJones New Member

Hi, I'm looking for some advice on the height of a new patio. It's about 10mm below the damp proof course of the house. I'm concerned this may not be low enough. I've read that there should be 75mm exposed brick below the DPC. What happens if there is not? Will the house get damp?
    Any advice very much appreciated.

I'm wondering if I should cut away a gap between the patio and the house and fill with stones.

2. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

Ideally should be 150 (2 courses of brick).

Why has it been built wrong?

3. CliveJones

CliveJones New Member

Cheers, the builder said that as long as it was not over the water proof course it was fine. I questioned this a few times and was told it's fine. He said there would be a few cm between the patio and the WPC. But as it turns out it's only 5-10mm.

Would a gap filled with stones be better?

What happens if the patio is too high?

4. The Happy Builder

The Happy Builder Screwfix Select

Raindrops bounce and soak the wall.

5. CliveJones

CliveJones New Member

Is there a way to fix it?

6. MRY

MRY Screwfix Select

You could as you have mentioned cut a marging and fill with gravel, so the rain doesn't bounce so much. You could reduce the height of the gravel a little. You could wait and see whether you have actually got a problem. You could insert a garden gnome into Mr. O'Reilly, or hire Sybil with a cricket bat.