DPM behind stud walls????

Discussion in 'Getting Started FAQ' started by Andylees80, Apr 25, 2021.

1. Andylees80

Andylees80 New Member

I am currently converting my garage into an office, I have built the stud walls. There is a cavity behind them of 50mm between the stud and brick. I have backed all the studs top to bottom with a DPM, can anyone tell me if this is right or wrong? Would it pass building regs?

2. Kizzbos

Kizzbos New Member

Depends on your inspector.

Usual practice is:

Facing masonry
    cavity
    breather membrane
    sheathing board
    stud wall
    insulation
    vapour control layer
    plasterboard.

But that's text book.

You might get away with what you have done. The easiest thing to do is simply phone your inspector, they'll let you know straight away what they are prepared to accept.

3. Nev Hope

Nev Hope Active Member

Er isn’t that “ text book” for timber framed construction, how the hell do you fix breather membrane and sheathing board to the backside of a stud wall when someone has inconveniently put a masonry wall there o_O

4. Kizzbos

Kizzbos New Member

It is timber framed construction, technically.

Its simple to construct; just time consuming, if done right. Like I said, that's the text book solution. There are a few ways to achieve this retrospectively. But you need to speak to your local authority building control as different authorities have different standards.

5. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

By building and sheathing the wall as a frame on the deck first, then lifting it up into position ;)

6. Nev Hope

Nev Hope Active Member

Fine for a single length of wall, but as garages tend to have more than one and quite often at right angles, how does one maintain the integrity of the breather membrane o_O