Drain at the rear over flowing

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Movieman334, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Movieman334

Movieman334 New Member

Hi all,

I'm totally new to DIY and was hoping to seek some advice. The drain at the rear to my flat is overflowing (it hasn't been raining and no signs of leak in my property).

I have the below wet patch that appears around by property waste which (20171204.gif) is a few meters from the mains drain (drain.gif), this also appears randomly regardless of weather conditions. Also in my toilet (i'm on ground floor) just in front of the drain sometimes I find nappies or contents I have flushed come back up

Just wanted to ask what my options are ?

Thank you kindly

Attached Files:

2. dobbie

dobbie Well-Known Member

I am not surprised things are getting blocked through your own fault.
    Nappies and whatever other things should not be flushed down the toilet.

Dr Bodgit likes this.
  3. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Well-Known Member

The drains/pipes are blocked, the wetness is caused by water (that should be flowing away) coming up through the cover. SO you need to:
    - lift the covers and unblock the drains and pipes (or get someone in to do it)
    - stop putting stuff like nappies down the toilet, idiot. The only thing that should go down the toilet is poo, toilet paper and disposal wipes (if you have to).

4. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

Nappies,sanitary towels, etc will swell up when wet & easily block a pipe,they are not made to be flushed down a toilet.

5. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Active Member

It's possible that we're leaping to the wrong conclusion about the OP. The way this is written one might infer that the nappies haven't been flushed by the OP, just that they appear alongside stuff he has flushed. It's vague enough to cast doubt. What do you reckon DA?

6. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Active Member

When my drain at the rear is overflowing, that's when I'll need a nappy. It comes to us all......

7. The Teach

The Teach Active Member

Ask the management company to investigate but dont mention you flush nappies down your toilet.

There are 2 different soil pipes in those photos,the one where your new sink waste is installed,test the new pipework/strap for leaks.

Good luck,

Movieman334 likes this.
  8. Isitreally

Isitreally Active Member

You as well. :p:p:p:oops::oops:

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  9. Movieman334

Movieman334 New Member

Apologies as i've re-read what I wrote it does sound like I flush nappies down the toilet. To confirm I don't have a baby and I certainly wouldn't flush nappies down the toilet.

What I meant is I do my business and flush the toilet, come back a couple of hours later and I find stuff that has come up in to my toilet from outside. In the past poo, nappies, wee, other peoples poo.

To confirm the council are the freeholder and I pay them a service charge, I'm a leaseholder.
    Thanks, forgive me for not knowing, but what is a strap?

10. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Well-Known Member

Boss strap I think, connects basin/bath waste pipe to the bigger soil pipe/stack:

[​IMG]

KIAB and Movieman334 like this.
  11. Movieman334

Movieman334 New Member

Ahh i see, so it's possible that the water could be coming out of there and running down the pipe and collecting on the floor. hhhmmm will have to look into that

Dr Bodgit likes this.
  12. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Well-Known Member

Looking at you pictures there is little chance of it being the boss thats leaked, looks like a job for a drainage team, you probally have a blockage further along the system and its backing up to yours.

13. Movieman334

Movieman334 New Member

Thanks all, i've called the council who are the freeholders to the property (I pay service charge to them, I'm a leaseholder) and advised them of the blockage and sent pictures. They will be sending someone out.

Devil's Advocate likes this.
  14. Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate Well-Known Member

As said above, almost certainly it's caused by a blockage beyond, or within, the manhole cover in your second pic. Should be an easy fix by the council folk.

The issue then is to prevent it from happening again, and that will involve the freeholder talking to the other flat occupants - and possibly threatening them with a huge bill should they flush a nappy down again...

See the vertical soil pipe in your 'drain' pic, is that just yours, or do the other flats above also feed in to it?

15. Movieman334

Movieman334 New Member

Totally agree, I can't believe someone would flush a nappy down the toilet. Although surely that is common sense, maybe the waste is backed up somewhere else down the line. I would be surprised if a nappy would even fit down a toilet.

Soil Pipe
    There are 2 flats (ground + 1st) that soil pipe is shared by both.