Drain cleaning strategy

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by LeakeFixer, Jun 24, 2022.

1. LeakeFixer

LeakeFixer New Member

Any tips on budget drain cleaning?

I'm going to buy some rods but some drains and bends are harder to get to and so will need chemicals too.

I know about oneshot but will need to be clearing drains out regularly and so any tips there would be good. Caustic soda is a bit cheaper but needs to be mixed in a bucket first.

Screwfix doesn't seem to carry many cleaning products for this purpose.

2. Avoid using chemicals as much as possible would be my advice. if the water isn’t flowing at all you can be left with a dangerous pool of water mixed with strong chemicals. If you can’t get it with a plunger and rods then call out a drain company to jet the drains.

3. MRY

MRY Screwfix Select

I wouldn't touch caustic soda or whatever. If there are blocages, they're because something is not right, which needs fixing. If you get lots of jobs (!), get a snake, some rods, and a pressure-washer attachment.

4. qwas123

qwas123 Screwfix Select

Leakefixer, you should say what drainage you are concerned about ie waste from gullies or soil pipe etc?
    How often do you have to deal with blockages?
    If you have doubtful bends then stay away from rods or the next thing will be you have a rod stuck.

5. LeakeFixer

LeakeFixer New Member

My blockage is a long story but I have to avoid them recurring.

Basically, I've recently had some new drain pipes installed. Previously, all my household waste was going through one pipe and getting caught up in the neighbour's balcony connection point below. Now, only bathroom waste is going down that pipe whilst kitchen(+washing machine) has been diverted through another pipe.

It's easy enough for me to service the bathroom pipe as I can access it easily - occasional rodding will do the job.

The new diverted pipe will get food and washing machine waste going through and may get blocked. Also, the builder used a 43mm width pipe when he could/should have used a wider one.

With the new pipe, there's a couple of access points for servicing: one on balcony, and one at the top of the pipe on the rear wall. (You can see them from the pics). The second access point would require a ladder to get at though.

Obviously, I want to service the pipe from the balcony. Rods won't really be suitable from this point of view. So, I think I need a 'snake' to service it? The new pipe measures about 8-9m. Cheers.

Attached Files:

6. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

Replace the whole lot with 50mm pipe and compression couplings and I doubt you'll ever need to unblock anything. If you ever do get a blockage, just disassemble at the compression couplings.

LeakeFixer likes this.
  7. Sounds like you just need a sani snake. Screwfix do one for about £20. You dont need rods.

LeakeFixer likes this.
  8. LeakeFixer

LeakeFixer New Member

I found this drain snake https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-656602-Drain-Cleaner-10/dp/B000LFVEQ8

I think this is what I need but I don't quite get how the end bit works (corkscrew bit). I couldn't find many videos on it.

I'm guessing the idea is to insert the cable into pipe as far as possible until it gets blocked at which point you wind the corkscrew bit out, which then snags the hair/fatberg, then you pull the whole cable out? The cable would also help to dislodge grease forming around the insides of the pipe. Cheers.

9. LeakeFixer

LeakeFixer New Member

It's a similar device though, no? Too short as well.

10. LeakeFixer

LeakeFixer New Member

You haven't understood the problem and just plugged a Screwfix product because I posted a competitor's product.

To be clear, I have to keep 9-10m of drain pipes unblocked (photos above). A plunger won't deal with that problem. I'm trying to work out how to do this on a limited budget and don't want to throw money at rubbish products which don't solve the problem.

So, rods and chemicals are not recommended, which leaves only the sani snake. The screwfix sani snake is too short which only leaves the one I linked except it's not clear exactly how it works because there are no videos on it.

11. You really think I care where you buy a product? Go and buy that spring and see how you get on with it…

rogerk101 and I-Man like this.
  12. So easy to cut a tee in with an access as well so u can have more than one point to snake it from

13. MRY

MRY Screwfix Select

Now now. Where you buy is not relevant.

The Screwfix product and ones like it have the significant advantage over the item you highlighted in that they are in housings, so you don't get metres of slithery gooey drain snake covered with, erm, muck, all over the place making things mucky (you should clean and dry the thing between uses though).

Why do you need a 10m drain auger? You've got access part way along, you could use that.

EDIT: Or as pppmacca43 says, surprised there does not seem to be access apart from on the wall outside.

14. its not even just the muck, once you get round 1 or 2 bends with a spring, it becomes very difficult to get past any more bends or blockages. With the screwfix type one you can lock the spring in place and spin like mad whilst pushing it in to help it get round bends or through blockages. Even then it can struggle. I fail to see how a loose cable like the one linked will get round bends unless there very close to the entry hole, or how it will get through stubborn blockages as you wont be able to apply the pressure needed.

rogerk101 and LeakeFixer like this.
  15. LeakeFixer

LeakeFixer New Member

There is an access point on the top of the pipe on rear wall but would need a ladder to get there.

Yes, inserting the snake from the access point on the balcony would require going round 2 or3 corners depending how deep the snake goes.

"I fail to see how a loose cable like the one linked will get round bends unless there very close to the entry hole, or how it will get through stubborn blockages as you wont be able to apply the pressure needed."

OK, I see your point.

I'm not expecting blockages. The plan is to insert the snake every 3 months and try to ensure the pipe is stays clear. It's more a preventative strategy to dislodge potential blockages and to give the inside of the drain pipe a bit of a scrape.

The other option is the karcher jet washer but that seems a bit overkill. There'd also be the same problems of getting the hose round the bends. I think with the snake it shouldn't really be a problem getting it as far down the pipe as possible (its full length 10m) unless there are blockages.

Along with the occasional 90c machine wash, boiling water flushes and occasional chemical flush of OneShot or Caustic Soda, I think this approach would work.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2022
  16. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

When I plumb drains or soil pipes, I never use L couplings on corners, I use T couplings with one of the ends closed up with a screw on rodding point.
    I learned my lesson 33 years ago never to use 32mm wastes, and now I seldom even use 40mm wastes, nearly always opting for 50mm wastes.
    I have yet to need a rodding point (he says while touching wood), but at least I know they're there, easy to use, and easy to close again. They don't look great, but I usually try to hide waste pipes anyway with removable covers.

17. Abbadon2001

Abbadon2001 Screwfix Select

TBH, another move to best prevention is going to be being very strict with what goes down the sink - remove as much oils, fats from everything before washing them, never pour oil down the drain, or molten fat etc... Dont flush rice down the sink or pasta etc...

18. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

I think I'd make sure I knew where my snake was after that comment Roger!!

19. LeakeFixer

LeakeFixer New Member

Is it OK to use Oneshot and Caustic soda on plastic pipes?